Fonds Acc: 94-28 - Zion Presbyterian Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Zion Presbyterian Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 94-28

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1892-1925 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 volumes of textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1906-1919)

Administrative history

The Zion Presbyterian Church was built in 1905 in Birnie, Manitoba. Located north of Neepawa, from 1906 to 1919. In 1890, Reverend T.M. Richmond presided over services held in the North End School. The mission was officially organized in 1905, and the first services were held in the local schoolhouse. A church building was constructed with three foot long 200lb cement blocks in 1906. It was part of the Glenella field until transferred to the Arden field in 1908. In 1908, Birnie was listed as part of the Kelwood charge with Carpenter. On July 1, 1919, Zion Presbyterian Church formed a Local Union with Orange Ridge Methodist Church. Zion Presbyterian Church continued to be used as the Union Church, and the pews and furnishings from the Methodist Church were brought to Zion. In 1925, Zion Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada and became Zion United Church. The Zion Presbyterian Church was used after joining the United Church.

Custodial history

The records of Zion Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Rural Municipality of Elton in 1994.

Scope and content

The records of Zion Presbyterian Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1889-1922), Marriages (1893-1922), and Burials (1897-1917); and a Communion Roll (1894-1925).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres