Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg Zion Methodist Church Fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
.2 m : 18 volumes + 1 envelope
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Zion Methodist Church began in Winnipeg in 1874 in an attempt to meet the needs of the people in the north end community of Point Douglas: it was founded by Rev. Young and Grace Methodist Church. A church was built on the corner of Kings Street and Logan Avenue, with help from Grace Methodist. By 1882, a new church had been built and enlarged at the corner of King and Henry Ave, and in 1884 Bethel Methodist Episcopalian Church amalgamated with Zion Church. 1889 saw another expansion of Zion church, as well as relocation to Alexander Avenue. In 1925 Zion Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada and became Zion Church.
The records of Zion Methodist Church came to the conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records in 1975 and 2000.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Zion Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1875-1925, Marriages, 1875-1932, and Burials, 1877-1932; Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including membership list and minutes, 1904-1932; records of the Official Board, including minutes, 189701923; records pertaining to Christian Education, including minutes and attendance, 1886-1932; records pertaining to the Board of Trustees and church property, including minutes, financial records and subscription lists, 1902-1926; records of lay associations, including the Women's Missionary Society, 1900-1941; and reference material, including clippings, orders of service, anniversary booklet/church history and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level description available.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description