Fonds 99-13; 02-16; 03-22 - Young Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Young Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA 99-13; 02-16; 03-22

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1891-1925 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 folders textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Young Methodist Church existed in Winnipeg from 1891 to 1925. Early Sunday School services of the congregation began in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Breen. In the Spring of 1891, the Quarterly board of Grace Methodist Church appointed a building committee who selected a site and began construction of a church for the growing Methodist congregation. The church was named after Dr. George Young, a pioneer Methodist missionary of Western Canada. Regular church services began in the first Young Methodist Church building, located on the corner of Furby and Broadway, in 1892. In 1894, the church separated from Grace Methodist Church and Rev. J. H. Riddell was appointed as the regular minister of Young Methodist Church. Plans for a new church began in 1906, and the Sunday school portion of the structure was competed in 1907. By 1911, the original Young Methodist Church structure had been entirely replaced by a larger structure. Young Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, becoming Young United Church.

Custodial history

The records of Young Methodist Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1999 and 2003

Scope and content

The surviving records of Young Methodist Church include: a Building Certificate, from the architect of the Methodist mission, dating from 1891; Financial reports, dating from 1919 to 1920; an agenda/program from a Sunday School and Epworth league convention, dating from 1918; and programs/orders of service, dating from 1917 to 1925.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres