Fonds OW.105 - Woodlands, St George fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Woodlands, St George fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.105

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1886-1996 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

20 cm textual material
Still Images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish of St George, Woodlands was formed by the Right Reverend Robert Machray on 21 July 1886. Services, however, had been held as early as 1874 in the home of Mr David Porteous, with Rev Canon O'Meara of St John's College leading worship. David Porteous also donated an acre of land, located in the SE corner of 16-14-2W for a cemetery. A log church was built in 1876. It was dedicated in October 1877. In 1897 a new church was built from plans designed by Toronto architect, Gordon Halliwell. The church was opened in the fall of 1897. On 20 June 1945, the church was destroyed by fire. The congregation elected to purchase the former Christ Church building, at Rosser. The structure was moved to Woodlands on 9 August 1947. A new foundation and narthex were added. The windows were replaced and the interior was refinished as well. It was opened and dedicated for Woodlands (having already been consecrated in Rosser) on 20 June 1948. In 1952 the original steeple was removed and replaced by a belfry, which housed a bell donated by the Canadian National Railway. A wheelchair ramp was added at this time as well. During the years between 1987 and 1997, the church structure was raised and new basement was dug. The belfry and chimney were removed and a tower and steeple were added. Over the years, St George, Woodlands has been associated various parishes and communities, including: St Oswald, Argyle (OW.002); St John, Brant (OW.011); All Saints, Erinview (OW.026); St Luke, Poplar Point (OW.073); Christ Church, Rosser (OW. 082); Meadow Lea; St Oswald; and Stodgell. Of note is the parish of St James, Woonona (later Stodgell), formed in 1907. Although a parish was formed, a church never materialized. The parish disbanded and all funds raised for church construction were turned over to the Woodlands parish. In 1990, the parish of St Luke, Poplar Heights closed and amalgamated with St George Woodlands. In 1995, St George, Woodlands was "twinned" with the parish of St Cyprian, Teulon. This priest-sharing arrangement lasted until 2006 when St Cyprian made an agreement with a Lutheran church in Teulon. As of 2009, St George, Woodlands is associated with St Michael, Grosse Isle. Clergy from Woodlands also hold an annual service at the St Luke Museum and at All Saints, Erinview.

Custodial history

Unknown

Scope and content

The records of St George, Woodlands held at the Diocesan Archives include: Canonical Documents (1886-1990); Titles (1937-1987); Sacramental Registers (1883-1996); Record of Service Books (1927-1996); W.A. Minutes (1926-1968); A.C.W. Minutes (1968-1986); W.A./A.C.W. Ledger (1963-1982); W.A. Annual Reports (1937-1987 n.i.); W.A. Parochial Schedules (1927-1966 n.i.); W.A. History and Membership Lists; Minutes of Junior Girls Auxiliary, Little Helpers (1936, 1938, 1939); Church Boys League; W.A. Correspondence (1929-1977); W.A. Diocesan Board Circular Letters (1935-1965); W.A. Diocesan Branch Correspondence (1930-1968); W.A. Assistance for Students; W.A. Receipts and Cards; still images. Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles, Sacramental Registers and research files are held in the Upper Vault. All other files and bound volumes are located in the Lower Vault. Still Images are filed by title and are located in the Still Images - Rural Parish collection.

Availability of other formats

Parish registers are also available on microfilm reel #12

Restrictions on access

None.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also St Oswald, Argyle (OW.002), St Luke, Poplar Heights (OW.071) and St Cyprian, Teulon (OW.095)

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres