Title and statement of responsibility area
Women's Art Association of Canada, Winnipeg Branch fonds.
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
11 cm. textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Winnipeg Branch of the Women's (or Woman's) Art Association of Canada (WAAC) was initially established in February 1894 with the aim, like its parent organization in Toronto, Ontario, of promoting and encouraging a "general interest in art" and of fostering "the mutual help and cooperation of women who were either serious artists or lovers of art." Dividing its membership into "active" members (professional artists and serious students) and "honorary" members (women interested in art), with reduced fees for the latter, the Winnipeg Branch was "a significant force" in the development, practice and appreciation of the visual arts in Winnipeg during two decades: from 1894-1896 (when the parent organization was known as the Woman's Art Association of Canada); and from 1903 to 1909. Strongly influenced and directed in the first instance by the parent organization's Mary Dignam in Toronto, the Branch ultimately grew restive of Eastern control and eventually broke with the Women's Art Association of Canada to form the Western Art Association in 1908. Although some members of the Branch and the Reading Circle remained under the rubric of the Women's Art Association of Canada for the year 1908-1909, participating at times in joint meetings with the new sister association, they ultimately donated money to the Western Art Association and disbanded in May 1909. Branch organization over the years was based on a slate of elected officers, working committees, such as the Selection and Hanging Committee and the Social Committee, and standing committees, such as the Handicrafts Committee and the Reading Circle. Recorded membership numbers varied from approximately 20 in 1894 to 188 in 1907. (Source: Virginia G. Berry. Taming the Frontier: Art and Women in the Canadian West 1880-1920. Calgary: Bayeux Arts, Inc.; Winnipeg: The Winnipeg Art Gallery, 2005.)
These items have been in the custody of The Winnipeg Art Gallery at least since the 1980s and possibly sooner, but how they came to the Gallery is not known.
Scope and content
Items consist of minutes of meetings, transcriptions of minutes, cash books (financial records), and a transcription of a cash book.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No reproduction without prior written approval.
The Finding Aid is a Box List.
Associated material: The Archives of Manitoba and the Legislative Library of Manitoba (both in Winnipeg, Manitoba) and the archives of the Women's Art Association of Canada in Toronto, Ontario also hold records of this organization.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Women's Art Association of Canada. (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description