Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg, St Stephen fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL W.039
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
30.5 cm textual material
2 still images
2 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St Stephen's Parish was formed on 5 November 1913. It had been originally founded as a mission of St John's Cathedral with Reverend Canon Murray taking the first services. Worship was initially held in the East Kildonan School before moving to the Polson School. St Stephen's Church was built in 1912 on land donated by Morrison Sutherland. The church was consecrated in 1948 and the early parish also included St Timothy, St Saviour and Emmanuel. In 1959 a new basement was completed and used as a parish hall. In 1978 a new sanctuary was built and the old church was remodelled and renamed Ison Hall. The marble baptismal font and stained glass windows were retained from the old church. On 25 June 1998 the church was consecrated. St Stephen founded a number of missions as well. The Washington Avenue Mission, located at 425 Washington Avenue, began in 1922. As the years past, Anglican influence in the mission began to wane and the last ministers in the mission actually belonged to the United Church. The mission closed in 1962 and the building was sold to the Washington Avenue Fellowship. In 1955, St Matthias Mission was founded. The bulk of the mission work was centred on Sunday School classes held in Neil Campbell School. This mission also closed in 1962.
Parish to Diocese in 1984 and 1997.
Scope and content
The records of St Stephen Church held at the Diocese Archives include: Canonical Documents (1913-1998); Titles (1951-1978); records of St Matthias Mission (1960-1962); Sacramental Registers (1929-1982); Record of Service book (1941-1948); and photographs. Research File
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Canonical Documents, Titles, Sacramental Registers, Research Files, and St Matthias records are located in the Upper Vault. The Record of Service book is stored in the Lower Vault in Box #92.
Availability of other formats
All Sacramental registers, with the exception of W.039/11, 12 and 13 are on microfilm rolls #W25 and #W26. Use of microfilm is restricted to archive staff.
Restrictions on access
Use of parish registers is restricted to archive staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: Photographs are located in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection filed under title.
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description