Fonds W.038 - Winnipeg, St Saviour fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, St Saviour fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.038

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1914-1997 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

67 cm textual material
7 still images and negatives
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St Saviour's Parish began as a mission in 1914. Services were held in Reverend Walter Anderson's home in Morse Place. At the time, his home was still under construction and worshippers had to sit on two-by-fours and kegs of nails. Morse Place was a housing development in East Kildonan named after George Mohr. A small church was eventually built on the south side of Moncton Avenue and opened 30 April 1915. It was later moved to the present site at 690 Munroe Avenue in the 1930s. St Saviour's was incorporated as a parish on 10 September 1929. A combined church/hall was built in 1955 and the old church was demolished. A growing congregation forced larger accommodations and the present church was built in 1964. It was dedicated 10 September 1964. Several church furnishings were donated to St Saviour's, including the pews and alter rail, which came from Christ Church and the oak litney desk came from Holy Trinity. In the late 1960s, St Saviour's began sharing a minister with St Cuthbert's. A deteriorating church forced St Cuthbert's to close and the congregation merged with St Saviour's in 1972. The proceeds of the sale of St Cuthbert's church allowed St Saviour's to pay off their mortgage and the building was consecrated 22 September 1974. The chapel was renamed for St Cuthbert. A new parish hall was dedicated on 11 February 1979 and a basement was added in 1980s.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984.

Scope and content

The records of St Saviour's held at the Diocese Archives include: Canonical Documents (1929-1974); Titles (1949-1968); Building Plans/Blueprints (1938, 1955); Sacramental Registers (1914-1985); Records of Service (1914-1946); Vestry Minutes, includes annual and special meetings (1914-1995); Parochial Reports (1962-1966); Correspondence(1971-1975, 1975-1981, 1987-1990); Buildings and Property, including plans (1963-1977, 1977-1978, 1982-1984); Christmas Plays and Pageants (1970s); Worship Committee (1977-1979, 1982-1983); Stewardship Campaigns (1978-1981); Parish Conferences (1995, 1997); Woman's Auxiliary Records (1956-1962, 1957-1962); photographs and negatives. Research Files (3).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles, Building Plans/Blueprints, Research files and Sacramental Registers are located in the Upper Vault. The remaining files are located in the Lower Vault in Boxes #89-#91.

Availability of other formats

The Sacramental Registers are also available on microfilm roll #W25 with the exception of registers W.038/4 and 5. Use of microfilm is restricted to archive staff.

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers is limited to archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: The photographs are located in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection. The plans drawn up in 1938 are located in the Map Cabinet, Drawer 6.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

General note

Clergy List:
Rev. T.D. Conlin 1936-1947
(Also Served St. George, Transcona and St. Catherine’s, Bird’s Hill)
Rev. W. Goodeve 1950-1953
Rev. R.E. Park 1956-1962
Rev. D.J. Carter 1963-1964
Rev. E. Bays 1965-1967
Rev. W. McGregor 1968-1975
(Also Served St. Catherine, Bird’s Hill and St. Cuthbert)
Rev. J.P. Mash 1976-1982
Rev. J.W.S. Brown 1983-1991
Rev. J. LeSarge 1992
Rev. R.S. Condo 1993-2007
Rev. K.J. Garrity 2008-

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres