Fonds W036 - Winnipeg, St Peter (Old St Peter) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, St Peter (Old St Peter) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W036

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1893-1932 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

13.5 cm of textual records
1 black and white photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St Peter's Church was located at the corner of Selkirk Ave and Aiken Street, and as the parish magazine of June 1913 declares, "you got there by taking the Park Lane Streetcar right to the door." St Peter's began as a mission of St John's Cathedral. The first services were held in a cottage owned by Mr Blackburn at the corner of Magnus and Aiken. The first service was held on 1 November 1893, with the Rev Canon WA Burman officiating, a congregation of 19 and a collection of $1.75. By 1894, the building was too small for the growing congregation so they built a church. This frame building seated 200 and cost $1,700. The first service in the new church was held on July 5, 1894. Archdeacon Fortin officiated, Canon WA Burman assisted and Archbishop Machray preached. The Archbishop referred to the new church in his Charge to Synod in 1895. The year 1899 saw two developments for St Peter's, both of them evidence of the congregation's growth and prosperity. On May 29, 1899 Archbishop Machray transformed the Mission into a Parish. In the same year the church was enlarged and a basement was added. The area grew quickly over the next few years but within a decade the demographic of the district had changed and the first promises of the parish's growth and prosperity were not fulfilled. An appeal for funds explained that "a steady influx of foreign population set into the district instead of our own people increasing, and so the expected increase of contributions was not realized ... (and) it is only with much self-sacrifice that the congregation have managed to avert impending tax sale and mortgage sale proceedings and pay running expenses." The parish continued despite these difficulties. In 1921, St Peter's agreed to the establishment of St Barnabas' Parish. St Barnabas had begun as a mission of St Peter's Parish but now became a parish in its own right. The Parish decided to close and in 1930 the rectory at 367 Selkirk Ave. was sold. In 1931 the church was demolished. By 1936, the parish had been dissolved and most of the property sold. The organ went to St Thomas Church, Winnipeg, the altar carpet to St John's Church, Fisherton, chairs to St Barnabas, Winnipeg and the altar cross to St Martin-in-the-Fields.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984.

Scope and content

The fonds includes three files of correspondence, some financial records and canonical documents. The Research file contains a rededication service leaflet, a parish magazine from 1913, and various clippings. There are six parish registers (see register list).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Parish Registers are in the Upper Vault and all other files are in the lower vault in Box #84.

Availability of other formats

Microfilm, Reel # W24. See register list.

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers limited to archives staff. Microflim is not available for loan or consultation.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: The photograph is held in the Osborne Scott Collection.

Related materials

Accruals

None expected

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres