Fonds W.034 - Winnipeg, St Patrick and St Jude fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, St Patrick and St Jude fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.034

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1911-2006, predominant 1911-2006 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.5 metres of textual material
Microfilm
Photograph Collection

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish was first under the direction of GI Armstrong who engaged the services of Archdeacon Scott in 1909 to organize the district. Construction began in the late summer of 1911. The first service was held on March 17, 1912 and Rev Armstrong was priest-in-charge. This was the first mission in Winnipeg to begin its ministry with a new building completely furnished and with a robed choir of 14 boys, 3 women and 6 men. The church which had originally built at Pine and Ellice was moved in 1915 to Spruce and Riddle. The mission was established as self-supporting mission and Gilbert H Williams was appointed rector. Plans for a new church were made to be built on Valour Road in 1926 and which was completed in 1927, Rev E Springett as rector. Rev Springett was followed by C Barnes and GE Phillips. The mortgage was retired under GE Phillips and a new rectory and parish hall was built, with the mission church of St David's organized in the northern part of the parish. When the new parish hall was built on the site of the old church which was moved to St David's. The pulpit was a memorial to Sgt Leo Clarke VC and the three men in whose honour Pine Street was renamed. His family was one of the original families of the mission (See detailed parish histories in the file.) The Parish was amalgamated with the parish of St Jude (W.025) in February 1974. St Patrick's church was used while St Jude's was deconsecrated and torn down. St Jude's memorials were transferred to St Patrick's as well. The amalgamated parish continued until 2002. Declining membership and increasing costs led to the closure. A Disestablishment Service was held on 2 June 2002. The building was desecularized on 9 September 2004. The church and parish hall were sold to the Centre for Conscious Living.

Custodial history

Parish to ADRL in 1984, 2000, 2001.

Scope and content

The records of St Patrick's include: Sacramental Registers (1912-1973); Record of Service Books (1912-1974), Record of Service Book from St David's Mission (1956-1965); Vestry Minutes (1912-1973); Building Correspondence and records (1914-1927); Financial Statements (1917-1973); Parish Correspondence (1927-1971); Mortgage documents (1937); Documents from St James cemetery (1921-1933); W.A. Reports (1914-1922); records from the Mothers' Union (1955, 1958); Social Events; Parish Statistics (1932-1972); Declaration of Church Membership (1966-1972); Dedication of Parish Hall (1955); Service Leaflets (1927, 1947); Parish Notes/Highlights; St David's Mission Canonical Documents; St David's Mission Correspondence. Research File. Records held at the Diocese archives from St Patrick and St Jude include: Sacramental Registers (1974-2002); Record of Service Books (1974-2002); Vestry Minutes (1974-2002); A.C.W. Finances (1968-1996); A.C.W. Projects; records of the choir (1984-1994); Parish leaflets (1995); records of sale of 1271 Riddle Avenue (1996-1997); Insurance documents (1995-1996); report re: use of building after closure (2003-2006); Offer to Purchase correspondence with Centre for Conscious Living (2004); Sale of property (2004); Correspondence re: memorials in the church (2004); Description of Collection Plates; Disposition of memorial stained glass windows; Canonical Documents (1916-2004); Titles (1991-2002); Solicitors File (1978); Plans/Blueprints; Research file; Disposition of Furnishings, Books, Linens and Memorials (2004); Revocation of Registration re: Charitable status (2003-2004); Inventory of Memorials and Artifacts - Photos and Transfer Forms (2002-2004).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

This is an artificial collection made up from a number of accessions and materials from both original parishes.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Parish registers in upper vault. Other material in lower vault in Boxes #80-#83. St Patrick's photos are held in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection. St Jude's photos are found in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection.

Availability of other formats

Microfilm of parish registers. See also material in W.025, Winnipeg, St Jude

Restrictions on access

Parish Registers restricted to archives staff only. Microfilm is not avaialble for general use or for interlibrary loan.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: Drawer 6 of the Map Cabinet contains building plans of the church. See also the Oversize Storage Box #4 for blueprints and additional building plans. Photographs are held in the Disestablished Parishes Still Image Collection.

Related materials

Accruals

None expected.

General note

Clergy List:
1911 M Scott

1913 WG Nicolson
1914 JW Woolfe

1915 Gilbert H Williams
1917 TD Painting

1924 F Glover
1927 Ernest J Springett (p-in-c)

1932 Charles Barnes
1936 FJ Vincent

1936 George E Phillips
1941 FW Goodeve

1946 H Gordon Walker
1961 RF Davison

1965 LR Willis
1962 HL Newton

1968 Douglas A Gregory
1974 J.A. Harwood-Jones

1982 John L Moore

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres