Winnipeg, St Patrick and St Jude

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Winnipeg, St Patrick and St Jude

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The parish was first under the direction of GI Armstrong who engaged the services of Archdeacon Scott in 1909 to organize the district. Construction began in the late summer of 1911. The first service was held on March 17, 1912 and Rev Armstrong was priest-in-charge. This was the first mission in Winnipeg to begin its ministry with a new building completely furnished and with a robed choir of 14 boys, 3 women and 6 men. The church which had originally built at Pine and Ellice was moved in 1915 to Spruce and Riddle. The mission was established as self-supporting mission and Gilbert H Williams was appointed rector. Plans for a new church were made to be built on Valour Road in 1926 and which was completed in 1927, Rev E Springett as rector. Rev Springett was followed by C Barnes and GE Phillips. The mortgage was retired under GE Phillips and a new rectory and parish hall was built, with the mission church of St David's organized in the northern part of the parish. When the new parish hall was built on the site of the old church which was moved to St David's. The pulpit was a memorial to Sgt Leo Clarke VC and the three men in whose honour Pine Street was renamed. His family was one of the original families of the mission (See detailed parish histories in the file.) The Parish was amalgamated with the parish of St Jude (W.025) in February 1974. St Patrick's church was used while St Jude's was deconsecrated and torn down. St Jude's memorials were transferred to St Patrick's as well. The amalgamated parish continued until 2002. Declining membership and increasing costs led to the closure. A Disestablishment Service was held on 2 June 2002. The building was desecularized on 9 September 2004. The church and parish hall were sold to the Centre for Conscious Living.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places