Fonds W.033 - Winnipeg, St Michael and All Angels fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Winnipeg, St Michael and All Angels fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description



CA DRL W.033

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production


  • 1904-1991 (Production)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

9.5 cm textual material
2 still images

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Histoire administrative

St Michael and All Angels began as a mission founded by All Saints. A mission church was built in 1904 on Mulvey Avenue. The first service was held on 13 November 1904. In 1920 work began on the present church at the northwest corner of Hugo St. and Mulvey Ave. The foundation stone was laid on 17 June 1920. The old mission church was moved to the new site and used as a parish hall. The interior of the new church remained largely unfinished until Father Turney came to St Michael and All Angels in 1930. Under his leadership the church was completed and a rectory was built as well. The church contains many artefacts from England, including stained glass from Anglican churches bombed during the World Wars and an altar stone from the sanctuary of Pershore Abbey, a Benedictine monastery. The church was consecrated on 13 October 1947. Fire damaged the roof in 1959. Another fire in 1970 gutted the music room and destroyed the organ. Following the fire in 1970, the congregation worshipped in the parish hall until reconstruction was complete. The church reopened 29 September 1971. The church was designated a historic building by the city of Winnipeg in 1989. St Michael and All Angels has the distinction of being the only Romanesque Anglican church in the city. Also, St Michael and All Angels is the only complete Anglo-Catholic parish in the diocese and the second oldest Anglo-Catholic parish west of Toronto.

Historique de la conservation

Parish to Diocese in 1984.

Portée et contenu

The records of St Michael and All Angels held at the Diocese Archives include: Canonical Documents (1904-1947); Titles (1910-1914); Building Plans (1951-1955); Sacramental Registers (1910-1991); and photographs. Research File.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition


Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

All files and registers are stored in the Upper Vault.

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Sacramental Registers are also on microfilm rolls #W22 and #W23. Use of microfilm is restricted to archive staff.

Restrictions d'accès

The use of parish registers is limited to archive staff.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Éléments associés

Related material: St Michael and All Angels 100th Anniversary DVD; The photographs are stored in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection filed by title.

Associated material: Record of Service books and Vestry Minutes are held at the parish. The parish also has an archivist who maintains their archives in a scrapbook format.

Éléments associés


Further accruals expected.

Note générale

Clergy List:
Fr. F.B. Smith 1904-1906
Fr. J.B. Haslam 1907
Fr. G.H. Broughall 1907-1921
Fr. H.S. Ram 1921-1926
Fr. H.F. Hutton 1926-1928
Fr. R.H. Thomas 1928-1930
Fr. W.C. Turney 1930-1961
Fr. J.G. Gibbons 1962-1972
Fr. H.L. Hertzler 1973-1975
Fr. A.M.L Klassen 1977-2012
Fr. W. Drake, 2012-2014 [Interim]
Fr. K. Frankland, 2013-2022

Language of material note


Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé


Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions


Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description


Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés