Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg, St Michael and All Angels fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
9.5 cm textual material
2 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St Michael and All Angels began as a mission founded by All Saints. A mission church was built in 1904 on Mulvey Avenue. The first service was held on 13 November 1904. In 1920 work began on the present church at the northwest corner of Hugo St. and Mulvey Ave. The foundation stone was laid on 17 June 1920. The old mission church was moved to the new site and used as a parish hall. The interior of the new church remained largely unfinished until Father Turney came to St Michael and All Angels in 1930. Under his leadership the church was completed and a rectory was built as well. The church contains many artefacts from England, including stained glass from Anglican churches bombed during the World Wars and an altar stone from the sanctuary of Pershore Abbey, a Benedictine monastery. The church was consecrated on 13 October 1947. Fire damaged the roof in 1959. Another fire in 1970 gutted the music room and destroyed the organ. Following the fire in 1970, the congregation worshipped in the parish hall until reconstruction was complete. The church reopened 29 September 1971. The church was designated a historic building by the city of Winnipeg in 1989. St Michael and All Angels has the distinction of being the only Romanesque Anglican church in the city. Also, St Michael and All Angels is the only complete Anglo-Catholic parish in the diocese and the second oldest Anglo-Catholic parish west of Toronto.
Parish to Diocese in 1984.
Scope and content
The records of St Michael and All Angels held at the Diocese Archives include: Canonical Documents (1904-1947); Titles (1910-1914); Building Plans (1951-1955); Sacramental Registers (1910-1991); and photographs. Research File.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
All files and registers are stored in the Upper Vault.
Availability of other formats
Sacramental Registers are also on microfilm rolls #W22 and #W23. Use of microfilm is restricted to archive staff.
Restrictions on access
The use of parish registers is limited to archive staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: St Michael and All Angels 100th Anniversary DVD; The photographs are stored in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection filed by title.
Associated material: Record of Service books and Vestry Minutes are held at the parish. The parish also has an archivist who maintains their archives in a scrapbook format.
Further accruals expected.
Fr. F.B. Smith 1904-1906
Fr. J.B. Haslam 1907
Fr. G.H. Broughall 1907-1921
Fr. H.S. Ram 1921-1926
Fr. H.F. Hutton 1926-1928
Fr. R.H. Thomas 1928-1930
Fr. W.C. Turney 1930-1961
Fr. J.G. Gibbons 1962-1972
Fr. H.L. Hertzler 1973-1975
Fr. A.M.L Klassen 1977-2012
Fr. W. Drake, 2012-2014 [Interim]
Fr. K. Frankland, 2013-2022
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description