Fonds W.033 - Winnipeg, St Michael and All Angels fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, St Michael and All Angels fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.033

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1904-1991 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

9.5 cm textual material
2 still images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St Michael and All Angels began as a mission founded by All Saints. A mission church was built in 1904 on Mulvey Avenue. The first service was held on 13 November 1904. In 1920 work began on the present church at the northwest corner of Hugo St. and Mulvey Ave. The foundation stone was laid on 17 June 1920. The old mission church was moved to the new site and used as a parish hall. The interior of the new church remained largely unfinished until Father Turney came to St Michael and All Angels in 1930. Under his leadership the church was completed and a rectory was built as well. The church contains many artefacts from England, including stained glass from Anglican churches bombed during the World Wars and an altar stone from the sanctuary of Pershore Abbey, a Benedictine monastery. The church was consecrated on 13 October 1947. Fire damaged the roof in 1959. Another fire in 1970 gutted the music room and destroyed the organ. Following the fire in 1970, the congregation worshipped in the parish hall until reconstruction was complete. The church reopened 29 September 1971. The church was designated a historic building by the city of Winnipeg in 1989. St Michael and All Angels has the distinction of being the only Romanesque Anglican church in the city. Also, St Michael and All Angels is the only complete Anglo-Catholic parish in the diocese and the second oldest Anglo-Catholic parish west of Toronto.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984.

Scope and content

The records of St Michael and All Angels held at the Diocese Archives include: Canonical Documents (1904-1947); Titles (1910-1914); Building Plans (1951-1955); Sacramental Registers (1910-1991); and photographs. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

All files and registers are stored in the Upper Vault.

Availability of other formats

Sacramental Registers are also on microfilm rolls #W22 and #W23. Use of microfilm is restricted to archive staff.

Restrictions on access

The use of parish registers is limited to archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: St Michael and All Angels 100th Anniversary DVD; The photographs are stored in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection filed by title.

Associated material: Record of Service books and Vestry Minutes are held at the parish. The parish also has an archivist who maintains their archives in a scrapbook format.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

General note

Clergy List:
Fr. F.B. Smith 1904-1906
Fr. J.B. Haslam 1907
Fr. G.H. Broughall 1907-1921
Fr. H.S. Ram 1921-1926
Fr. H.F. Hutton 1926-1928
Fr. R.H. Thomas 1928-1930
Fr. W.C. Turney 1930-1961
Fr. J.G. Gibbons 1962-1972
Fr. H.L. Hertzler 1973-1975
Fr. A.M.L Klassen 1977-
Fr. W. Drake,
Fr. K. Frankland,

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres