Fonds W.029 - Winnipeg, St Martin-in-the-Fields fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, St Martin-in-the-Fields fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.029

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1904-2002 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

91 cm textual material
4 still images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields, known as "the oldest church north of the CNR yards," began as a mission back in 1904. Services had been held regularly as early as 1892, however. Thomas Martin, in 1892, set aside a room in his home, known as "the Mission Room," for Sunday afternoon services. When the congregation grew too large, the service was moved to the nearby home of Edmund Partridge. At the suggestion of Reverend S.P. Matheson, a church was built at the southeast corner of Hartford Avenue and McGregor Street. In 1906 the congregation decided to move the church to Smithfield Avenue, where the present parish hall now stands. By 1908 the move was complete. A new church was built in 1922. It was dedicated on All Saints Day of that year and the first service was held November 5, 1922. The building was consecrated November 4, 1945. The old church was used as a parish hall until 1956 when it was demolished and a new hall was built. A rectory was built in 1952. In 1972 the River North Anglican Parish was formed. St Anne, St Barnabas, St Catherine Bird's Hill, St Paul Middlechurch and St Martin-in-the-Field were served by a team ministry that was initially comprised of Rev. M.G. Peers, Rev. A.R. Reed, Rev. D.D. Wallace, Rev. M.K. Hicks and Rev. J.T.L. James. The River North Anglican Parish dissolved in 1986.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984, December 1991, 1993, 2006 and 2008.

Scope and content

The records of St Martin-in-the-Fields held at the Diocese Archives include: Canonical Documents (1920, 1945); Titles (1920, 1922, 1939, 1945); Building Plans/Blueprints; Sacramental Registers (1909-2001); Marriage register (2003 - 2013); Burials register (1962 - 2013); Confirmation register (1965-2011); Baptism register (1962-2012); Vestry Books (1907-2002); Minute Books (1904-1979); records of the Woman's Auxiliary (1958-1969); records of the Ladies Aid (1936-2005); a cash book (1920-1930); records of the Anglican Young Peoples Association (1926-1967); records of the Altar Guild (1924-1928); records of the Chancel Guild (1929-1971); records of the Girls Auxiliary (1935-1946); records of the Young Wives (1959-1964); records of the Mothers' Union (1961-1975); and photographs. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles, Building Plans/Blueprints, the Research file and Sacramental Registers are all located in the Upper Vault. The remaining registers and files are stored in the Lower Vault in Boxes #70, #71, #72 and #73.

Availability of other formats

The Sacramental Registers, with the exception of W.029/7R, are also on microfilm roll #W19.

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers is limited to archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: The photographs are stored in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection, filed by title; The history of the Ladies Aid can be found on page 5 of the March 2004 edition of The Rupert's Land News; West of the River: The Story of West Kildonan, St Martin-in-the-Fields. Vince Leah; See also the River North Anglican Parishes fonds for additional records pertaining to St Martin-in-the-Fields.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

General note

Clergy List:
Rev. S.P. Matheson (Priest-in-Charge) 1906-1915
Rev. E.A. Gill (Priest-in-Charge) 1915-1919
Rev. P. Heywood (Priest-in-Charge) 1919-1921
(Shared with St Anne until 1921)
Rev. P. Heywood 1921-1923
Rev. E.J. Springett 1923-1927
Rev. T.A. Coulson 1927-1929
Rev. R. Martin 1929
Rev. J. Rance 1930-1956
Rev. Fairclough 1956-1967
Rev. Calderwood 1967-1971
Rev. M. Peers 1972-1974
Rev. H. Newton 1974-1976
Rev. W. Oakley 1976-1982
Rev. P. Barnett 1982-1990
Rev. K. Turnbull 1990-1996
Rev. M-B. Flom 1996-1999
Rev. J. Whitmore 2000
Rev. M. Lysecki 2001-2007
Rev. D. Joy 2008-

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres