Fonds W.027 - Winnipeg, St Margaret fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, St Margaret fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.027

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1908-2004 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

128 cm textual material
39 still image
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St Margaret's Parish was originally founded as a mission in 1907 by St James' Parish. Services were held in homes in the Wolseley neighbourhood by Reverend A.W. Woods. In 1910, St Margaret's Mission was incorporated as a parish and Reverend A.W. Woods carried on as rector. A hall was rented on Portage Avenue until a small wooden church was built on the corner of Arlington and Westminster in 1912. Later that year, work began on a new church at Ethelbert Street and Westminster Avenue, the present church site. In 1933, the main entrance was completed and a tower was added to the southeast corner in 1936. A chancel was added in 1950. More improvements and renovations occurred over the years. Offices, a chapel, organ room and teller's office were added in 1959. The church was made wheelchair accessible with the addition of an elevator and renovated washrooms in the late 90s. In 1997, the chapel was converted to a nursery.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984, November 1988, 2009 and 2010.

Scope and content

The records of St Margaret's Parish held at the Diocese Archives include: Canonical Documents (1910-1960); Titles (1912-2004); Building Plans/Blueprints (2003); Sacramental Registers (1908-1987); Vestry Minutes (1952-1969, 1980-2007); Annual Reports and Minutes of the Annual General Meeting (1962, 1963, 1965, 1967-2006); Parish Highlights (1908-1966); Anniversary Services (1960-1967); Parish Profile (c. 1950s); "St Margaret's Matters" (1967-1984); "St Margaret's Weft" (1995-1999); Vestry Voice (1987-2002); Parish Directory (1964); Parish Directories (1964, 1985-2003); People File; War Charities Act-Memorial Chancel (1939, 1946); Correspondence: Building (1957); Organ (1951-1958); Warden's File-Correspondence (1959-1967); Correspondence to James Slater and/or Vestry (1983-1993); Building Report (1987); Cunningham Appraisal Service (1987); Church Surveys (1962-1963); (Diocesan) Parish Statistics (1981, 1984, 1986, 1988); Church Service Survey (1986, 1991); Parish Profile (1991); Strategic Plan Draft (1994); Goals, Mission Statements, Leadership (1989, 1990, 1991, 1996); Church Space Study (2001), Photographs. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles, Building Plans/Blueprints, Research files and Sacramental Registers are all located in the Upper Vault. All other files are kept in the Lower Vault in Boxes #64-#68 and #94-#95.

Availability of other formats

Sacramental Registers are also on microfilm rolls #W17 and #W18. Use of microfilm is restricted to archive staff.

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers is limited to archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: Photographs are located in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection, filed by title. One image is held in Oversize Storage Box #1.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

General note

Clergy List:
Rev. A.W. Woods 1907-1920
(served as army chaplain 1914-1918)
Rev. F.W. Goodeve 1914-1918
Rev. G.A. Wells 1921
Rev. F. Glover 1922-1966
Rev. J.D. Slater 1967-1991
Rev. D. Widdicombe 1992-

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres