Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg, St Jude Fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL W.025
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
40.0 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
From Golden Jubilee Book, 1906-1956: EARLY DAYS: The Reverend George Horrobin, formerly a curate at the first St George's Church in Winnipeg, had been commissioned to establish a church at the intersection of Home Street and Wellington Avenue. He held some preliminary services in the home of the late John T. Williams on Burnell Street but St Jude's Church, another of the daughters of the old mother church of St James, may be regarded as having come to its birth in a tent pitched on the site of the present edifice, the first Sunday in September, 1906. During the weeks Mr. Horrobin was conducting the tent services, a wooden structure was in course of erection at a cost of some $4,500.00. The small but growing congregation entered the more substantial building for Divine Service on Sunday, November 15th of the same year. In two years the mission had become self-supporting and, on the petition of the Rector, Wardens and Vestry, the Archbishop constituted St Jude's a Parish Church under charter. In the month of May, 1914, plans for the erection of a brick church were adopted by the Vestry and within a month a tender had been accepted. The foundation stone was laid in the evening of July 14th. A robed choir, with the Dean of Rupert's Land, Dr. Coombes, the Rector of All Saints' Church, the Rev. Walter Loucks, and the Rev. George Horrobin, formed the procession. The stone-laying ceremony was performed by Mr. J. G. Dagg, a prominent lay member of the Diocesan Synod, after he had been presented with a silver trowel by the Rector's Warden, Mr. J. W. Beggs, on behalf of the Rector and congregation. Addresses were given by Mr. Dagg on the history and significance of stone-laying and by the Rev. Walter Loucks on St Jude our Patron Saint. The Corner Stone, which may be seen by all who now enter the church, stands, as Mr. Horrobin later reminded his people, as a permanent memorial of many blessings received and of Him who is the Chief Corner Stone of the Church of God. By St Jude's Day, October 28th, the same year, the new church was ready for Divine Service. The last service at St Jude's was held February 11, 1974 and the building was deconsecrated at that time. The Parish of St Jude was amalgamated with the Parish of St Patrick to become the Parish of St Patrick and St Jude in February of that year.
Parish to Synod office to ADRL.
Scope and content
Scope and Content: The fonds consists of file folders containing canonical documents, legal documents and a copy of the mortgage. There is some correspondence and a number of leaflets and booklets recording church anniversaries. There are minute books and parish registers. See file list. Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
This is an artificial collection made from files collected from a number of sources. Items pertaining to St Jude have been extracted from the files of St Patrick and St Jude. Arrangement imposed by the archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Boxes in lower vault. Registers in upper vault; other books in lower vault. Materials held in the Lower Vault are stored in Boxes #54-#58. Large documents are held in Oversize Box #4 in the Lower Vault. Photogrpahs transferred to Still Images - City Parishes Collection. Oversize photographs are held in Oversize Still Images Box #1.
Availability of other formats
Microfilm, Reel #W16. Microfilm is not available for consultation or inter library loan.
Restrictions on access
Parish registers are restricted to archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See Winnipeg, St Patrick and St Jude W.034
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- W.034 St Patrick (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description