Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg, St John's College Chapel fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL W.024
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2 cm textual material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St John's College Chapel was built at the University of Manitoba's Fort Garry Campus in 1959. The first service was held 15 November 1959, and the cornerstone was laid 24 December 1959. The chapel was dedicated on the feast of St John the Evangelist, December 27 1959 Although space had always been designated for worship within the previous college buildings, the construction of the chapel at the University of Manitoba marked the first time in the college's history that a purpose built chapel would be used. Attendance was strong for only a few years, however, before expanding student enrolment and ethnic diversity on campus led to a downturn in church attendance. In time, only special services were held and the weekday service was dropped for a number of years. Weddings, funerals, memorial services, baptisms, confirmations and at least one ordination have been held in the chapel, in addition to concerts. Special occasions and special forms of worship are celebrated in the chapel as well. During the late 1990s, there was a chaplain vacancy. During this time, chaplains of other denominations were available for pastoral concerns.
St John's College Chapel to Diocese in July 1993.
Scope and content
The records of St John's College Chapel held at the Diocese Archives include a Sacramental Register (1918-1944); Record of Service Books (1913-1975).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The Sacramental Register is held in the Upper Vault. Record of Service Books are located in the Lower Vault in Box #53.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: Manuscript Papers of M.47 Laurence Wilmot. Library Collection: One University: A History of the University of Manitoba 1877-1932 by W.L. Morton; The St. John's College Story and The Christian Churches of Red River Settlement and the Foundation of the University of Manitoba; " An Historical Analysis of the Process of Transition from Frontier College to University by Laurence F. Wilmot; and Protestant Church Colleges in Canada by D.C. Masters. Pamphlet Collection: "Documents Relating to St John's College, MB" (1913); "St. John's College: the Act of Incorporation, the Constitution, the Statutes" (1957); "St. John's College 1866 â" 1966". See also the fonds description and records (Box 27, M.52) of St. John's College. See also the Annual Reports of St. John's College 1987-1992 in the Synod Journals
Associated material: Further records, include Sacramental Registers, of the St John's College Chapel are held at the University of Manitoba. An item level inventory is available at the Diocese Archives.
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- St John's College (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description