Winnipeg, St John's College Chapel

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Winnipeg, St John's College Chapel

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

St John's College Chapel was built at the University of Manitoba's Fort Garry Campus in 1959. The first service was held 15 November 1959, and the cornerstone was laid 24 December 1959. The chapel was dedicated on the feast of St John the Evangelist, December 27 1959 Although space had always been designated for worship within the previous college buildings, the construction of the chapel at the University of Manitoba marked the first time in the college's history that a purpose built chapel would be used. Attendance was strong for only a few years, however, before expanding student enrolment and ethnic diversity on campus led to a downturn in church attendance. In time, only special services were held and the weekday service was dropped for a number of years. Weddings, funerals, memorial services, baptisms, confirmations and at least one ordination have been held in the chapel, in addition to concerts. Special occasions and special forms of worship are celebrated in the chapel as well. During the late 1990s, there was a chaplain vacancy. During this time, chaplains of other denominations were available for pastoral concerns.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places