Fonds W.020 - Winnipeg, St George (Transcona) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, St George (Transcona) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.020

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1912-1979 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

24 cm textual material
4 still images and negatives
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish of St George, Transcona was created out of the former parish of St Margaret's, Springfield in 1912. Services had been held in the area for almost a year prior, however. Reverend A.T. Norquay began holding services in the summer of 1911 in the upper floor of the Campbell Block on Regent Avenue. A church was built at 6 Kern Drive in the fall of 1911 and was opened 12 Dec 1911. Materials from St Margaret's church were used to refinish the basement and the disestablished parish also donated its organ to St George. The church was consecrated on 26 June 1949. In 1967, land was purchased for a new church but the funds for construction could not be raised. The Blessed Sacrament Parish, a Roman Catholic Church with whom St George had worked with in the past, offered to share their facilities. St George accepted and the last service was held 7 Sept 1969. The property purchased for the future home of the church was sold in 1970. The old church was sold to the Transcona Christian Reformed Church. St George continued to share space with Blessed Sacrament until 2001 when St George purchased the former Jehovah Witness Kingdom Hall. The necessary renovations were done and the congregation of St George moved to its new home at 321 Pandora Avenue.

Custodial history

Parish to the Diocese archives in 1984.

Scope and content

The records of St George, Transcona include: Canonical Documents (1912-1957); Titles (1967-1972); Sacramental Registers (1912-1979); Record of Services (1919-1965); Outline of the History of the Parish of St George, Transcona: 1911-1936; Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles and Registers are located in the Upper Vault. The remaining files are located in the Lower Vault in Box #45

Availability of other formats

The registers are also on microfilm Roll #W13. Use of microfilm is restricted to archive staff.

Restrictions on access

The use of parish registers is limited to archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: The photographs are kept in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection, filed by title. A 75th Anniversary Booklet is located in the Research file.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Clergy List:
Rev. A.T. Norquay August 1911-June 1919
Rev. J.H. Thomas June 1919-October 1925
Rev. W.J. Morgan November 1925-November 1927
Rev. A.W. Nixon April 1928-April 1932
Rev. F. W. Goodeve (Priest-in-Charge) June–September 1932
Rev. R.L. Taylor September 1932-August 1936
Rev. T.D. Conlin October 1936-April 1961
Rev. P. Niblock April 1961-June 1965
Rev. T.W. Maxwell September 1965-March 1971
Rev. K. Appleton (Priest-in-Charge) March-May 1971
Rev. C.D. Griggs May 1971-May 1976
Rev. F.W. Lynch (Priest-in-Charge) May 1976-January 1977
Rev. J.R. McCullough January 1977-April 1979
Rev. D.G. Ash June 1979-February 1982
Rev. W. Oakley May 1982-1997
Rev. J. Holmen 1998-1999
Rev. V. Shaw-Zdanowski 2000-2002
Rev. V. Luke 2003
Rev. J. Holmen 2004-2005
Rev. R. Webster 2006-
Rev. H. Manfield (Priest associate) 2008-

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres