Fonds W.011 - Winnipeg, St Anne fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, St Anne fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.011

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1912-1984 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

67.5 cm textual material
49 still images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St Anne's Parish was established as a mission by St John's Cathedral in 1912. The first service was held in the home of C.E. Cook by Reverend Canon Murray. After that services were held in Knight's Real Estate Office on Main St. By 1913, the mission had grown so large that on 27 Sept 1913, St Anne's Parish was officially formed. Land for the parish was donated by Archbishop Samuel Pritchard Matheson and the church was constructed on the Matheson homestead. The first service was held on 9 Nov 1913. In these first years, St Anne's shared Reverend P. Haywood with St Martin's Mission. In 1922, St Anne's received its first permanent rector, Reverend John Richardson. A rectory was purchased at this time. Plans for a new church were drawn up in 1924 but the Depression and Second World War made construction impossible. Construction finally began in 1954. The cornerstone was laid 17 Oct 1954 and the first service was held on 15 Dec 1954. The old church was then used as a parish hall. The building was dedicated on 23 Jan 1955 by His Most Reverend W.F. Barfoot and consecrated by Bishop Barry Valentine on 1 Oct 1975. In 1972, St Anne's Parish became part of the River North Anglican Parish. Comprised of five parishes: St Anne's, St Barnabas (W.012), St Catherine Bird's Hill (OW.008), St Martin-in-the-Fields (W.029) and St Paul Middlechurch (OW.057). The first team ministry included Reverend M.G. Peers, Reverend D.D. Wallace, Reverend A.R. Reed, Reverend M.K. Hicks and Reverend J.T.L. James. River North Anglican Parish disbanded on 31 Dec 1986.

Custodial history

Parish to the Diocese archives in 1984 and 1998.

Scope and content

The records of St. Anne's include: Canonical Documents (1913-1975); Titles (1954-1984); Plans/Blueprints (1954); Solicitor's File (1955); Sacramental Registers (1913-1964); Minutes of Vestry (1912-1974); Financial Records (1923-1962); Records of Service (1912-1990); correspondence (1925-1941); financial statements; records from the extension fund (1953); records from the building fund (1955); plans and drawings (1983, 1984); records of the Altar Guild (1940-1946); records of the Men's Club including member's roll (1940-1970); records of the Social Club including member's roll (1964-1971); minutes of the Mothers' Union (1956-1965); minutes of the Woman's Auxiliary (1912-1966); Woman's Auxiliary's Ledger and cash book (1915-1955); parish calendars (1947, 1962); excerpts from the diary of Mr. F.M. Wade (1956); parish leaflets; and photographs. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles, Plans/Blueprints and Registers are located in the Upper Vault. The remaining files are located in the Lower Vault in Boxes #26 and #27.

Availability of other formats

Registers are also available on microfilm roll #W8-9. Microfilm is restricted to archive staff.

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is limited to archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: The photographs are stored in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection. Blueprints, drawings and watercolour painting are stored in the Map Cabinet, Drawer 6. See also the fonds for River North Anglican Parishes for additional records pertaining to St. Anne.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

General note

Clergy List:
Rev. J. Richardson 1922-1927
Rev. H. McCartney 1927-1932
Rev. G.R. Calvert 1932-1933
Rev. F.J. Boyd 1933-1939
Rev. C.C. Landon 1939-1945
Rev. W. Goodeve 1945-1946
Rev. J. Blewett 1946-1949
Rev. E.J.I. Hoad 1949-1961
Rev. R.K. Appleton 1961-1966
Rev. F. Glover 1967-1969
Rev. D.D. Wallace 1970-1974
Rev. R.E. Baxter 1975-1980
Rev. D.N. Barclay 1980-1989
Rev. M.E. Flom (Hon. Asst.) 1990
Rev. G.D. Clark 1991-1999
Rev. D. Adams 2000-

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres