Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg, St Aidan fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL W.009
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
152 cm textual material
31 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St Aidan's Parish, named for the seventh century apostle in north England known as the saint of surprising gentleness, was originally established as a mission of St James Parish. On 3 May 1929, St Aidan's Parish was officially created. In that same year the parish received $500 in loans and grants from the extension committee to secure property for a church. The basement was completed by the end of the year. The church opened for worship on 17 Dec 1939. The church was still served by St James' Reverend G.W. Findlay until 1934 when Reverend W.H.H. Crump was appointed as St Aidan's first rector. The church was consecrated 4 Jan 1948. The Chapel of Christ the King was added and completed in November of 1953. The church was also enlarged in 1996. In 1995, St Aidan founded a Christian school. Space was initially leased from the Immanuel Pentecostal Church. The school began with a small Kindergarten class. In 1997, the school moved to Christ Church and expanded to teach Kindergarten and grades 1-5. After receiving government funding in 1999/2000, the school began to search for larger facilities. Unable to do so, however, almost led to the school's permanent closure. The school was able to gain a two-year variance from the city to rezone St Aidan's and so classes moved there. Attempts were made to purchase a building on Ness Avenue but St Aidan's vestry could not support the cost. A number of teachers resigned and with no other options, the school closed in 2002. The Manitoba government gave the school a year of reprieve to find a new location without losing it's status for funding. In it's year off the school board made contact with Inner City Youth Alive, an outreach in Winnipeg's North End. Plans for a school for inner city youth were quickly developed and in the fall of 2003, St Aidan's Christian School had seventeen inner city youth enrolled in grades 5-8. The school is now located at 418 Aberdeen Avenue. The parish continues to provide volunteers for the school's breakfast and lunch programs.
Parish to the Diocese archives in 1984.
Scope and content
The records of St Aidan's include: Canonical Documents (1929-1956); Titles (1929-1966); Sacramental Registers (1930-1980); Records of Service (1929-1972); Minutes of Vestry (1924-1998); Minutes of Annual General Meetings (1935-2002); Financial Statements (1929-1997); Endowments; Estate; Correspondence re: Development of the Parish (1928-1930); Building Tenders (1929,1930); Correspondence re: R.H. Avent (1930-1939); Church furnishings (1945-1949); Flagon Design; Rector and Warden's Correspondence (1948-1971); Parochial letters (1950-1966); Organ files (1937-1974); Church expansion (1953); Parish Newsletters (1929-1979); Parish Announcements (1930-1932); Parish Bulletins (1933-1978); Every Member Canvass (1954-1967); "Men's Tea" (1948); Guest Book (1970-1984); Parish Directories (c. 1980, 1992); Parish Lists (1991-1992); Parish history and anniversaries; Clippings; Founding of Parish; Programs and Events (1930-1939); "Ladies Tea" poem; Miscellaneous; Notebook re: R.H. Avent (1935-1940); Insurance (1958-1988); Building Projects (1945-1998); Foundation study (1985); Survey (1995); Variance Order and Appeal (1995); Proposal re: Canadian Nazarene College (1995); W.A. Finance Book (1950-1957); W.A. Minute Book (1947-1948); W.A. Evening Branch Minute Books (1954-1967); W.A. Annual Reports (1951-1961); W.A. Roll Call (1952-1954); Women's Groups, Histories (1930-1985); Women's Groups, Miscellaneous (1950-1954); Women's Groups â" Book Committee (1953-1965); W.A. Afternoon Branch (1949-1960); W.A. Evening Branch, Annual Reports (1950-1967); W.A. Evening Branch, Social Services Department (1953-1964); W.A. Evening Branch, Dorcas Department (1953-1966); Dorcas Group (1968-1997); Winnipeg Council of Women, Constitution (1959); Minutes of A.C.W. (1967-1969); Women's Groups, Miscellaneous (1948,1962); Poinsettia Coffee Party, Women's Guild (1949,1964,1965); Women's Council Minutes (1956-1967); Women's Council (1959); Women's Council Events Planning and Reports (1949-1961); Women's Council Annual Reports (1961-1963); Women's Council Correspondence (1961-1964); Women's Council Autumn Coffee and Tea Party (1961); Women's Council, Treasurer's Reports (1963,1964); Manitoba Provincial Council of Women, Annual Meeting (1961); Winnipeg Council of Women, Report (1963-1964); Women's Council, Constituion and Reports (1964-1966, 1961-1969); Tithing and Giving (Stewardship); The Montreal Declaration of Anglican Essentials (21 June 1994); St Aidan's Anglican Day School Proposal (26 October 1994); and photographs. Research File.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The Canonical Documents, Titles, and Sacramental Registers are located in the Upper Vault. All other records are kept in the Lower Vault in Boxes #17-25.
Availability of other formats
The registers are also available on microfilm roll #W7. Use of microfilm is restricted to archive staff.
Restrictions on access
Use of registers is limited to archive staff. Folder of Financial Pledges is restricted as well.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: The photographs are stored in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection filed by title.
Further accruals expected.
Rev. G.W. Findlay 1929-1933
Rev. W.H.H. Crump 1934-1944
Rev. J.O. Anderson 1945-1948
Rev. F.J. Boyd 1952-1965
Rev. J.R. Brown 1966-1974
Rev. J.B. Moorhouse 1975-1985
Rev. A.R. Simms (Priest-in-Charge) 1986
Rev. M. Henderson 1987-2001
Rev. Dr. B. Cane 2002-
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description