Fonds W.007 - Winnipeg, Holy Trinity fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, Holy Trinity fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.007

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

38 registers
3 cm textual material
6 still images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Holy Trinity Anglican Church is located at 256 Smith St., Winnipeg, MB. The Holy Trinity Parish was organized in 1867 by Archdeacon John McLean and formally created on 3 Apr 1869. The first services were held in the courthouse until a wood frame church was constructed and completed in 1868. This church was built on the corner of Portage Avenue and Garry Street. The church was enlarged and expanded in 1870 and again in 1880 before the congregation elected to build a new church on the corner of Graham Avenue and Donald Street. The new church, made of Manitoba limestone held its first service on 25 July 1884. The church was consecrated 14 Nov 1915. The boundaries of Holy Trinity Parish were changed in 1897 with the formation of St Luke's Parish. St Luke's was originally founded as a mission by Holy Trinity in 1890. Holy Trinity also established several other missions, including the Holy Trinity Mission Room (1889), St Barnabas Mission (1896), St Matthew's Mission (1896) which became a parish in 1900 and St Philip's Mission (1901) which became a parish in 1904. Until the completion of the Cathedral in the 1920s, consecrations of bishops took place at Holy Trinity, notably Bishop Cyprian Pinkham, Bishop Jervoisa Newnham, Bishop William Day Reeve, T.G. Lofthouse and S.P. Matheson. In 1990 Holy Trinity became Winnipeg's first church to be recognized as a National Historic Site. Designed by Charles Wheeler, Holy Trinity stands as a fine example of High Victorian Gothic architecture.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984, 1998, 2004 and 2008. Sacramental registers transferred to Diocese in 2023.

Scope and content

The records of Holy Trinity include: Canonical Documents (1897-1950); Titles (1880-1952); Plans/Blueprints; Sacramental Registers (1875-1991); and photographs. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles and Plans, and Sacramental Registers are located in the Upper Vault.

Availability of other formats

Some Parish Registers are on microfilm rolls #W4-7.

Restrictions on access

Access to registers is limited to archive staff. Please consult the archivist for more information.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid, please consult the archivist for more information.

Associated materials

Associated material: Apart from the Sacramental Registers, Canonical Documents, Titles and Plans, and Photographs, the parish holds all its own records.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Clergy List:
Rev. O. Fortin 1875-1917
Rev. W.J. Southam 1918-1926
Rev. C. Carruthers 1927-1940
Rev. T.J. Finlay 1941-1948
Rev. S.H. Brownlee 1948-1950
Rev. J.I. McKinney 1950-1953
Rev. G.D. Kelly 1954-1964
Rev. G.E. Hendra 1965-1969
Rev. J.B. Moorhouse 1970-1974
Rev. Dr. A Cuthand (Hon. Asst.) 1975
Rev. W. McGregor 1976-1983
Rev. D.A. Gregory 1984
Rev. R.W. Mather 1985-2003
Rev. D. Maynard 2004-2005 (interim)
Rev. M. Lanctot 2005-2015
Rev. K. Snowdon 2015-2017 (interim)
Rev. E. Pow 2017-2018
Rev. A. Hemminger 2018 (interim)
Rev. Canon C. Campbell 2018-2020 (interim)
Rev. A. Rampton 2020-2023
Rev. D. McKenzie (interim) Jan 2024
Rt. Rev. Donald Phillips (incumbent) and Rev. Helen Holbrook (pastoral assistant) Feb 2024 -

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revision July 2023 (MH).

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres