Fonds A.58 - Winnipeg, Emmanuel fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, Emmanuel fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL A.58

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1916-1936 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

7.0 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1916, Archbishop Matheson in his Charge to Synod reported that new churches have been build at Morse Place, East Elmwood, Bird's Hill, Cromer, and Stockton. This is the first mention of East Elmwood in the Synod Journals. Thereafter, Emmanuel Church, East Elmwood, appears until 1936 and afterwards vanishes from the records. Emmanuel Church is usually associated with (A.93) St. Saviour, Morse Place. The only clergyman named in the Synod Reports is The Rev WR Johnson, who also cared for St. Saviour's in 1927. Mr DJ Campbell is listed as the lay-reader in charge of Emmanuel Church, East Elmwood in 1924. There are two parish registers. The first entries are in 1917 and the last entries in 1934. The funeral services, by the way, took place in funeral homes except for one in St. Saviour's Church. The weddings were either in the church of in private homes. The Vestry book record of Sunday Services begins on 2 January, 1916 and ends in 1934. In 1918 it records that "From October 13th to Nov 24th inclusive, the church was closed by Order of the City Health authorities owing to the serious epidemic of influenza." On 20 August, 1934, there was a service of commissioning for Miss Searle to China. Archbishop Isaac 0. Stringer presided. For the most part, the Vestry book contains a list of names of ministers and of the services which they conducted. The theology students often boarded with families in the district during the summer months when the College was closed. John Evans is still remembered for his bicycle which he loaned to the local boys. The building was described as a "a little prairie church", wooden with siding and seating perhaps 50 people. Henderson's Directory for 1932 gives the address as 671 Union. People's memories place the church on Martin a little west from Gray near the present site of the King George V School. This was a very rural district in the 1920s and 1930s, surrounded by prairie and patches of thick bushes.

Custodial history

Parish to ADRL.

Scope and content

The fonds is made up of two parish registers, one service book and one Sunday School Roll Book. There are no documents or files. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Registers in upper vault, minute books in lower vault in Box #9.

Availability of other formats

Parish registers on microfilm reel #W4. Microfilm is not available for inter library loan or consultation.

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers limited to archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Disestablished Winnipeg Parishes

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

None

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres