Fonds W.003 - Winnipeg, Christ Church (River Heights) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, Christ Church (River Heights) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.003

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1955-2006 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

108 cm textual material
6 still images and negatives
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

New Christ Church was erected by the Diocesan Church Extension Fund in 1956 and dedicated by Bishop Barfoot on March 11th of that year. The church was modelled on a church at Camrose, Alberta and named for the disestablished parish and church that stood at Higgins Avenue and Princess Street. Prior to church construction, services were held in 1954 the basement of the rectory at 448 Beaverbrook Street under the spiritual guidance of Reverend Nelson Smith before moving to the disbanded Grace United Church in 1955. During Reverend Jack Ayers' ministry (1954-1979), a new parish hall was built as well as a gymnasium. In 1964, the annual Christ Church Plant Stand began. It became the largest, most profitable and longest running fundraiser. The bedding plant sale was held annually up until 2004. The church was consecrated 25 November 1984 by Bishop Jones In 1997, Christ Church was home to St Aidan's Christian School. This arrangement lasted until 2000. Facing an aging congregation, a church needing repairs and a depleted bank account, Christ Church had no choice but to close. The last service was held 28 May, 2006. The building was secularized 30 June 2006 and sold to a local business man who demolished the building in the winter of 2007. The memorials and items for worship were distributed throughout the diocese. The stained glass window is temporarily held at Prairie Stained Glass. For a full list of the disposition of items and memorials from Christ Church, see file W.003/94.

Custodial history

Parish to Synod Office to ADRL in 1984, 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2008.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of Canonical Documents (1956-2006), Titles (1981-2006), Building Plans (1961); Sacramental Registers (1955-2006), Vestry Minutes (1955-2006), Options (2002-2005); Annual Reports (1961-2005); Minutes of Annual Meetings (1956-1998); Annual Parochial Reports (1955-1968); Parish Newsletters (1956-2002); Parish Directories; Correspondence (1956-2006); Estate of Edith Mott (1988); Insurance (1965-2002); Plant Stand files (1978-2002); Stewardship and Parish Conference (1960-2005); Property Appraisal (2004); Parish Histories (1954-1989); Final Service Leaflets (2006); Leaflet Drawings; A.C.W. Annual Reports and Monthly Meetings (1957-1985); A.C.W. minutes (1986-1994); W.A. Life Membership (1964); Memorial Plaques and Memorial Book; Memorial Correspondence (1959-1999); Disposition of Church furnishings and memorials (2006); black and white photographs, negatives and microfilm of the parish register. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

The Sacramental Registers are located in the Upper Vault. The remaining files and bound volumes are kept in the Lower Vault in Boxes #4-9.

Availability of other formats

Register 15 is also on microfilm roll W#4. Microfilm is not available for consultation.

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish registers is limited to archive staff only.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Disestablished Parishes

Associated materials

Related material: The photographs are held in the Still Images - City Parishes Collection.

Related materials

Accruals

None

General note

Clergy List:
Rev. N.C. Smith (Priest-in-Charge) 1955-1958
Rev. W.J. Ayers 1959-1979
Rev. J.G. Wolf 1979-1997
Rev. M. Still 1998-2006

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres