Fonds W.001 Acc: 1997-01, 1998-02-07, 2004-7. - Winnipeg, The Cathedral Church of St. John fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, The Cathedral Church of St. John fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.001 Acc: 1997-01, 1998-02-07, 2004-7.

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1813 - 1995 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 m textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Lord Selkirk met with the Scottish settlers in July of 1817 to set aside a lot for a church. Three years later, on October 14, 1820, the Church Missionary Society in England sent The Rev. John West to the Red River Settlement. He was the first Protestant minister to arrive in Western Canada. Within the next two years, the first church, known as the Church Mission House, was built near the south east corner of the present day cemetery. A Hudson's Bay Company employee named Henry H. Berens laid the cornerstone of the second church on May 1, 1833. The first service held in this church, known as the Red River Church until The Rev. William Cockran changed it to the "Upper Church" in 1839, was in November of 1834. On October 3, 1849, Bishop David Anderson arrived in Red River. The original plan was to establish himself at the "Lower Church" (St. Andrew's) because at the time it was the population center of the area. He became needed at the Upper Church when The Rev. John Macallum died, and so took charge of the church and the Red River Academy. He consecrated the church and gave it the name of St. John on October 28, 1853. Services were held there until May 19, 1861. Bishop Anderson had designed plans for an elaborate new cathedral by 1856, but was forced to scale down his vision when he could not procure enough funding while visiting England. Nevertheless, a cathedral was built in 1862, with a tower added one year later. Talk of building another Cathedral began in 1883 but progressed very slowly. By 1913, the 1862 cathedral was considered unsafe, so, because the Parish had still not raised enough to build a new cathedral, they decided to create a pro â€" cathedral by putting an addition onto the Parish Hall. It was used for services for thirteen years. The cornerstone for a new cathedral was finally laid on June 9, 1926, and with the help of the architects from Prain and Parfitt, the third (and present) cathedral held its first service on December 5, 1926. Archbishop Sherman incorporated the Cathedral on December 8, 1947 with the name St. John the Evangelist, but the name was disestablished in 1952.

Custodial history

The records of The Cathedral Church of St. John came to the Diocesan archives as a transfer of records from individuals in 1997, Thompson and Scarth, Solicitors in 1998, and the Parish in 2001.

Scope and content

The records held in the Diocesan archives for the Cathedral Church of St. John include: Canonical Documents dating from 1853 to 1952; Title and Deeds dating from 1907 to 1995; Blueprints /Plans dating from 1897 to 1931; Sacramental Registers dating from 1813 to 1992; photographs dating from 1908 to 1981; and a research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

There are some conservation concerns with some of the registers.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Microfilm: Rolls W1 â€" W3

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is restricted to archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See the Library Collection for books relating to The Cathedral including; Our Heritage by Harry Shave and These Men Went Out and The Anglican Church from the Bay to the Rockies by T.C.B. Boon. See also the Pamphlet Collection, which includes articles titled: "St. John's, the Upper Church" (from Canadian Churchmen, 1944); and "The Cathedral Story" by T.F. Bredin.

Associated material: Other records of The Cathedral Church of St. John are located at the Cathedral.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

The material is in English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres