Fonds W.018; A.129 - Winnipeg, Brooklands, St David fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, Brooklands, St David fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.018; A.129

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1926-1972 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

5.0 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1923, Archbishop Matheson reported to Synod that a new church had been built in Brooklands. The church extension committee, in their report to Synod, described the new church as "a mission building 40 feet by 30 feet at a total cost of $2,700.00," standing on a excellent site on the corner of Don and Logan, close to the public school of that district." They went on to say that the design of this building, through the care of Mr H Edwards, will allow of the adaptation of the building as a church with increased accommodation at some future time. Thus, at a cost of almost $3,000.00, a commodious, well-lighted but not extravagant building has been placed in the heart of a community strongly Anglican which previously was remote from the ministrations of the Church. The mission had a prosperous beginning. It was opened in December 1922 by the Very Rev Dean JW Matheson assisted by the Ven Archdeacon McElheran, the rural Dean of Winnipeg, and the Rev Canon Loucks, and soon had a Sunday School of over 100 children. Archbishop Matheson, in his Charge to Synod in 1927, reported on the further progress of the Brooklands Mission. He said, "The Mission in Brooklands formerly associated with St Thomas' Parish in Weston has been formed into a separate parish under the name of St David's and though it has not advanced so far as to warrant for it the appointment of an incumbent of its own, it is hoped that it will soon develop." By 1929, circumstances had changed and that for the time being at least regular services have been suspended in it, but the Sunday School is still vigorously maintained under the charge of an earnest layman from St Thomas' church, with which St David's temporarily attached under the supervision of the Rev. A. Walker, the Rector." By 1936 the Brooklands Chapel has vanished from the lists of Parishes and Missions in the Synod Journals. During its short life, St David was served by the clergy of surrounding parishes. These included The Rev R W. Ridgeway, The Rev A Walker, The Rev. JJ Ison and the Rev J Rogers of St. Thomas, Weston; The Rev T Marshall of St Andrew's Sturgeon Creek; The Rev F J Vincent of St Chrysostom's church and The Rev Frederick Hughes of St Alban's church.

Custodial history

Parish to ADRL

Scope and content

The fonds contains three file of correspondence and blueprints for the chapel and furnishings. There is a file of canonical documents and a MS letter of petition to relinquish the western portion of the then present parish of Winnipeg, St Thomas (A.95). File list. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Note on Arrangement: This is an artificial collection pieced from material available at the time of arrangement and description for the FA.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Disestablished parish files and registers in upper vault. Additional records are held in the Lower Vault in Box #9

Availability of other formats

Microfilm reel #W11. Microfilm is not available on inter library loan or for consultation.

Restrictions on access

Parish registers are restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Disestablished Winnipeg Parishes

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

None expected.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres