Fonds W.002 - Winnipeg, All Saints fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg, All Saints fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL W.002

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1893-1977 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

60 cm textual material
3 still images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The All Saints Parish was formed on 7 June 1883. Construction began immediately on a large wood frame church. The first sermon was delivered by the Lord Bishop of Rupert's Land, the Most Reverend Robert Machray. The first service was held 15 February 1884 although the church was neither fully furnished nor finished. The boundaries of the parish were first redrawn in 1897. In later years, St Luke's, St Michael's and All Angels, St Albans and St George were all formed from within the original boundaries. Due to a growing congregation, a new stone church was built in 1926 and dedicated that same year. A number of memorial windows from the first church were successfully installed in the new church. The church also purchased a rectory at this time. The church was consecrated in 1946. A new rectory was purchased in 1949 and sold in the late 1980s. The flood of the Red River in 1950 caused extensive damage to the church. The water reached heights of eleven and a half feet and came within a foot of the main level of the church. A new organ was dedicated in 1959. In 1962, All Saints began to supply service for Old Christ Church. This continued until 1967. A new church hall was built and dedicated in 1964. His Royal Highness Prince Philip attended a service in 1967. All Saints was home for many years to a renowned men and boys choir that has received both national and international recognition and travelled to Europe twice to perform (1979 and 1982). All Saints also earned the nickname "the Garrison Chapel" because of its proximity to the barracks of the Royal Canadian Dragoons (later Lord Strathcona's Horse).

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan archives in 1984 and 1997.

Scope and content

The records of All Saints include: Canonical Documents 1883-1950); Titles (1935-1967); Plans/Blueprints (1937); Baptism Indices (1884-1932); Marriage Indices (1884-1932); Sacramental Registers (1884-1977); Marriage register (7 July 1973 -- 29 June 2002); Records of Service (1884-1929); Vestry Minutes (1899-1946); estate files (1962-1976); construction documents (1929-1961); AYPA Minutes (1950-1955); AYPA Correspondence (1950-1954); All Saints Church, Winnipeg: 100 Years, 1883-1983; and photographs. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles, Plans/Blueprints, Research file and registers are kept in the Upper Vault. Records of Service, Vestry Minutes and additional files are stored in the Lower Vault in Boxes #1 and #2

Availability of other formats

The registers, with the exception of the indices and banns of marriage, are also on microfilm roll #W3. Microfilm is restricted to archive staff.

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers limited to archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Winnipeg Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: All Saints Church, Winnipeg: 100 Years, 1883-1983 -Parish History Book. The photographs are stored in the Still Images-City Parishes Collection, filed by title.

Associated material: The majority of the records are held at All Saints Church.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Clergy List:
Rev. W.C. Pinkham (Hon. Asst.) 1883
Rev. J.B. Seaman 1884
Rev. C.A. Lane 1884
Rev. H.H. Barber 1885-1886
Rev. H.A. Tudor 1887-1892
Rev. F.V. Baker 1893-1899
Rev. F.B. Smith 1900-1904
Rev. F.C.C. Heathcote 1905-1912
Rev. W.M. Loucks 1913-1924
Rev. R.C. Johnstone (Hon. Asst.) 1925
Rev. H.R. Ragg 1925-1933
Rev. R.S.K. Seeley (Hon. Asst.) 1940-1942
Rev. W. Askey 1943-1948
Rev. D. Pierce Jones (Hon. Asst.) 1950
Rev. J. Blewett 1950-1958
Rev. R.F. Shepherd 1959-1964
Rev. B.G.M. Wood 1965
Rev. R.D.F. Kimmitt 1966-1967
Rev. E. Bays 1968-1972
Rev. J.E. Setter (Hon. Asst.) 1973
Rev. E. Bays 1974-1975
Rev. J.E. Setter 1976-1981
Rev. J.J.T. Johnstone 1982-1988
Rev. J.P. Brown (Priest-in-Charge) 1989
Rev. J.M. Holmen 1990-1997
Rev. J. Draper 1998-

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres