Fonds Acc: 82-5; 02-20 - Westminster Presbyterian Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Westminster Presbyterian Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 82-5; 02-20

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1881-1914 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

7 cm textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Westminster Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1893 until 1925. Members of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church originally met to discuss the organization of the Westminster congregation in the fall of 1892. With permission from Presbytery granted, Dr. A. B. Baird conducted the first service of the new congregation on Jan 1, 1893 in Victoria Hall on Notre Dame Ave. In May 1893, the Westminster congregation called its first permanent minister, Rev C. B. Pitblado. By 1894, the first Westminster Presbyterian Church structure was completed on the south-east corner of Notre Dame and Charlotte Ave. In 1912, construction began on a new church that could accommodate the large Westminster congregation. Governor General Earl Grey laid the cornerstone of the new church at Maryland and Buell (Westminster). In anticipation of church union the stone read only 'Westminster Church'. The second Westminster Presbyterian Church was dedicated in June 1912. In 1925, Westminster Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada, becoming Westminster United Church.

Custodial history

The records of Westminster Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records in 1982 and 2002 from the Shoal Lake Pastoral charge.

Scope and content

The records of Westminster Presbyterian Church held at the conference archives include minutes of the Managers (1881-1914); minutes of the Building Committee (1909-1920); minutes of the Ladies Aid (1899-1911); church building specifications (1914); a cash book (1900-1914); Annual Reports (1903-1912 n.i.); and miscellaneous cornerstone items (1914).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: The records of Westminster United Church also contain records of Westminster Presbyterian Church. See also the records of Rossburn Pastoral charge for additional records pertaining to Westminster Presbyterian Church.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres