Title and statement of responsibility area
Westminster Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 79-3; 85-55
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
9 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Westminster Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1893 until 1925. Members of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church originally met to discuss the organization of the Westminster congregation in the fall of 1892. With permission from Presbytery granted, Dr. A. B. Baird conducted the first service of the new congregation on Jan 1, 1893 in Victoria Hall on Notre Dame Ave. In May 1893, the Westminster congregation called its first permanent minister, Rev C. B. Pitblado. By 1894, the first Westminster Presbyterian Church structure was completed on the south-east corner of Notre Dame and Charlotte Ave. In 1912, construction began on a new church that could accommodate the large Westminster congregation. Governor General Earl Grey laid the cornerstone of the new church at Maryland and Buell (Westminster). In anticipation of church union the stone read only 'Westminster Church'. The second Westminster Presbyterian Church was dedicated in June 1912. In 1925, Westminster Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada, becoming Westminster United Church.
The records of Westminster Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records from the Crystal City Pastoral charge in 1979 and 1985.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Westminster Presbyterian Church include: Sacramental Registers (1890-1923); and Records of Session (1893-1921).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of Crystal City United Church for additional records pertaining to Westminster Presbyterian Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Crystal City United Church (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description