Westminster Presbyterian Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Westminster Presbyterian Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Westminster Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1893 until 1925. Members of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church originally met to discuss the organization of the Westminster congregation in the fall of 1892. With permission from Presbytery granted, Dr. A. B. Baird conducted the first service of the new congregation on Jan 1, 1893 in Victoria Hall on Notre Dame Ave. In May 1893, the Westminster congregation called its first permanent minister, Rev C. B. Pitblado. By 1894, the first Westminster Presbyterian Church structure was completed on the south-east corner of Notre Dame and Charlotte Ave. In 1912, construction began on a new church that could accommodate the large Westminster congregation. Governor General Earl Grey laid the cornerstone of the new church at Maryland and Buell (Westminster). In anticipation of church union the stone read only 'Westminster Church'. The second Westminster Presbyterian Church was dedicated in June 1912. In 1925, Westminster Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada, becoming Westminster United Church.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC