Fonds WC - Wesley College fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Wesley College fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UWA WC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1871 - 1965 (Creation)
    Creator
    Wesley College

Physical description area

Physical description

9.0 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1888-1938)

Administrative history

While nominally included in the 1877 incorporation of the University of Manitoba, Wesley College was officially founded in 1888 by the Methodist minister Rev. George Young. It was named for the 18th-century founder of Methodism, John Wesley. It taught its first year in Grace Church which stood on the corner of Ellice & Notre Dame with seven students, and Dr. W.J. Sparling was appointed the first instructor & Principal (although he did not arrive until the next year). In 1896 Wesley College opened the doors to its new college building on Portage Avenue. In 1913, due to their long co-operation and the proximity of their sites, Manitoba College entered into an experimental partnership with Wesley College called the United Colleges; however in 1914, they returned to independence and while Manitoba College surrendered the teaching of Arts to the University of Manitoba, Wesley College continued to teach both Arts and Theology. In 1938 the two colleges joined together as United College.

Custodial history

The records in this fonds were originally accumulated in the Wesley College administrative offices and library, and moved to various locations around campus as the College expanded and grew into United College and later the University of Winnipeg. Between 1980 and 1984, Shirley Payment and Delza Longman consolidated the archival records on campus in the University of Winnipeg Library and arranged the Wesley College records into this fonds. In the 2000s some of the records in the fonds were removed and assigned into separate record groups.

Scope and content

Records in this fonds were generated through the administration of Wesley College, including its teaching faculty, governing bodies, committees, and student groups. They include student records, financial records, legal records, minutes, and correspondence. The fonds also contains records from the 1913-1914 joint administration between Manitoba and Wesley Colleges, at the time entitled the United Colleges, that served as a precedent for the permanent 1938 merger as United College. Fonds is arranged in twenty-six series.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created -- 8 April 2019

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres