Title and statement of responsibility area
Wakefield, St George fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.100
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
38 cm textual material
3 still images
3 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The parish of St George, Wakefield was formed 17 September 1903. The records of Wakefield Mission, however, date back to 1895. Early services were held in the Wakefield Schoolhouse with professors and students from St John's College taking the service. Land for a church was bought in 1898 and a stone foundation was laid in 1903. Construction began on the church in the spring of 1904 and was opened later that year on 6 November. A bell was sent out from England and set up on a stand south of the church. A bell tower was built in 1944 in memory of those who served in World Wars One and Two. In 1967 the former Parkdale Schoolhouse was moved onto the church property and added on as a Sunday School room. In 1989, the church underwent a massive renovation, both inside and out. St George participates in an annual ecumenical service with the surrounding parishes and congregations between Clandeboye and Gimli. From its inception, St George was associated with All Saints, Gunnville (OW.035), Norwood and Meadowdale. Following Gunnville's closure in 1966, St George joined with St Clement, Mapleton. This arrangement was in force at the time of description.
Parish to Diocese in 1984 and 2010.
Scope and content
The records of St George, Wakefield held at the Diocesan Archives include: Canonical Documents (1903-1990); Titles (1904-1989); Sacramental Registers (1890-1985); Record of Service books (1906-1998); Vestry and Annual Meeting Minutes (1906-1992); WA Minutes (1928-1949; 1961-1966); Senior WA Minutes (1938-1955); WA Afternoon Branch Minutes (1960-1962); WA Minutes Norwood Branch (1949-1960; 1966-1969); WA Account Book (1929); Building Account (1904-1905); still images. Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Canonical Documents, Titles, Sacramental Registers, and Research are held in the Upper Vault. All other files and bound volumes are stored in the Lower Vault. Still images are filed by title in the Still Images - Rural Parish Collection.
Availability of other formats
Parish Registers are also available on microfilm reel #12.
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish registers is restricted to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See also the Registers of St Peter, Dynevor (OW.022) for entries prior to 1890. See also the Registers for St Clement, Mapleton (OW.052) for Burial entries.
Further accruals expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description