Fonds Acc: 79 - 19 - Vine Street Presbyterian Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Vine Street Presbyterian Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 79 - 19

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1879 - 1916 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 volumes textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Vine Street Presbyterian Church existed in the Manitoba community of Birtle, located 150 km northwest of Brandon, from 1887 to 1917. Mr. C. Copeland, a student minister, held the first Presbyterian service on October 19, 1879. The Rev. William Hodnett was the first ordained minister to the mission in October of 1880. At this time, the charge included Birtle, Fort Ellice, Shell River, Silver Creek, Todd's, Rossburn, North Oak River (Hamiota), Findlay's Shoal Lake and Doyle's Settlement (Beulah). The first Communion service for this area was held in Birtle on September 18, 1881. Services were originally held in private homes and then later at the Town Hall. Vine Street Presbyterian Church was formally opened and dedicated on June 19, 1887. In 1898, Fort Ellice was dropped from the charge and Gnaton Hall was added. In 1917, Vine Street Presbyterian Church formed a Local Union with Birtle Methodist Church to become the Union Church of Birtle. The former Presbyterian Church continued to be used as the Union Church.

Custodial history

The records of Vine Street Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Birtle United Church in 1979.

Scope and content

The records of Vine Street Presbyterian Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1881 - 1902), Marriages (1880 - 1897), and Burials (1892 - 1895); Communion Roll (1882 - 1911); and records of the Session (1879 - 1916).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also the records of Birtle United Church for other material pertaining to Vine Street Presbyterian Church.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres