Title and statement of responsibility area
Vickers Heights United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 81 - 8
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1962 - 1970 (Creation)
Physical description area
3 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Vickers Heights United Church existed in the Ontario community of Port Arthur, now known as Thunder Bay, from 1956 to 1970. The congregation was first established in 1937, after it was noted in the Superior Presbytery minutes that a group of United Church families living in Vickers Heights had no religious service available to them. Presbytery requested that church services and activities be provided to the community in February of 1944. The services were initially held every other Sunday except for the summer months, when no church services were held. It was officially authorized as a congregation on May 8, 1956 under the oversight of First United Church. Fourth Avenue United Church was moved to the corner of Glendale and Broadway in August of 1961 and officially re-opened as Vickers Heights United Church in November of 1961. It was originally part of a three-point charge that also included Slate River and Pinegrove, but was later changed to a three - point charge that included Broadway and Pinegrove. In 1967, the field was altered again to include Pinegrove, Slate River, Murillo, Kakabecka Falls, Hymers and South Gillis with preaching points at Pinegrove, Kakabecka Falls and Hymers. On July 1, 1970, the congregation of Vickers Heights United amalgamated with Broadway United after the closure of Vickers Heights church. The property was sold in 1971.
The records of Vickers Heights United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records in 1981 from the Superior Presbytery.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Vickers Heights United Church include records of the U.C.W. (1962-1970).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of Broadway United Church for additional material pertaining to Vickers Heights United Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description