Fonds - Vernon Grieves Memorial United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Vernon Grieves Memorial United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1854-1975 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm : 4 volumes

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Vernon Grieves Memorial United Church is located in the northern Manitoba community of Oxford House. The first resident missionary for the area was Henry Steinhauer in 1851. The Methodist mission station was originally located on Jackson Bay, which was as much as 18 miles away from the HBC Fort. By 1874, the mission had moved to a larger, less isolates site. A church building was described in missionary reports as being "nearly finished" in 1879, but described as being "far from finished" in 1873. Before Union in 1925, the mission also included God's Lake and Island Lake. The church was replaced in 1925, when it became Oxford House United Church. A third church was built with a church hall in 1962. The 1925 church was dismantled and the lumber was used to repair, enlarge, and improve the chapel at the south end of the mission. This chapel was destroyed by fire on May 9, 1975. The South End does not officially become a preaching point for the charge until 1985. The church appears in the records as Vernon Grieves Memorial United Church after 2002.

Custodial history

The records of Vernon Grieves Memorial United Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwest Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1975 and 2000.

Scope and content

The surviving records of the Vernon Grieves Memorial United Church include the following Sacramental registers: Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, 1894-1917; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, containing records from Keewatin, Lake Winnipeg, Norway House, Oxford House and Nelson River, 1918-1951; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1951-1975; and Baptisms and Marriages, 1854-1894.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level description available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres