Fonds - Upsala United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Upsala United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1959-2003 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

7 volumes of textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Presbyterians of Upsala, Ontario were first served by the Rev. Dewar in the 1920s, and then by Rev. Dan McIvor , who travelled to Upsala from Fort William. Rev. McIvor provided services in the area for 30 years, during which time Upsala was a mission field. Discussions were had regarding using two old school buildings and their materials to build a church for Upsala, but in the end the local Loyal Orange Lodge building was used, with the stipulation that the group could continue to hold meetings in the church basement for the next 10 years. The Upsala United Church bought land and the Lodge in 1961, and the church was dedicated in October of that year. English River was part of the pastoral charge that was mainly presided over by student ministers. Over the years it has been part of the Superior Presbytery, the Kenora-Rainy River Presbytery, and most recently the Cambrian Presbytery. Upsala United Church closed in 2003.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The records of the Upsala United Church, as held at the conference of Manitoba and Northwest Ontario include: Baptismal registers (1960-2003); Marriage registers (1974-1988), Burial registers (1960-1993); Membership transfers (1961-1985); Minutes (1979-1999); and Cash books (1959-1989).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level description is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres