University of Winnipeg Library fonds

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of Winnipeg Library fonds

Parallel form(s) of name

  • UW Library

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • United College Library

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The University of Winnipeg Library traces its roots to the libraries of Manitoba and Wesley Colleges. These institutions, founded in 1871 and 1888, respectively, included libraries in their first permanent facilities that opened in 1882 and 1896, whose collections were built up and overseen by devoted members of the Colleges’ faculty.

Much of the history of the library is one of inadequate space and expansion. Manitoba College sold its building in 1931 and mostly transferred its facilities to Wesley College, including its library collection. Due to limited space, the books mostly wound up in Wesley’s attic. Wesley constructed a two-storey expansion for its library in 1934. When the two colleges joined to form United College in 1938, so did their library collections. After World War 2, the influx of returning soldiers caused an enrollment boom that necessitated the construction of the Library & General Theological Building – later renamed Bryce Hall – in 1951. Ashdown Hall opened in 1959 as another expansion, as increasing space was allotted to the library in Bryce. Finally, in 1972, the library moved to its present home in the upper floors of Centennial Hall.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created 14 November 2018 -- Daniel Matthes


  • English



Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC