Title and statement of responsibility area
University of Winnipeg fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UWA UW, AC, CL
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1967 - 1995 (Creation)
- University of Winnipeg
1938 - 1967 (Creation)
- United College
1888 - 1938 (Creation)
- Wesley College
1878 - 1938 (Creation)
- Manitoba College
Physical description area
3.0 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The University of Winnipeg received its charter through an order-in-council on July 1st, 1967; The University of Winnipeg Act was officially assented to by Parliament on June 29th, 1998.
The University's antecedents were Manitoba College, formed in 1871, and Wesley College, in 1888. Manitoba and Wesley Colleges operated under the auspices of the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches, respectively. When these Churches joined as the United Church in 1924, the Colleges began a partial administrative co-operation as "United Colleges". They merged officially in 1938 as United College. Until the 1967 charter, however, these colleges were a part of the University of Manitoba.
Located in the same central urban campus since Wesley College was built in 1896, the University of Winnipeg has always sought to embrace its role as an urban university.
Name of creator
Manitoba College was founded by the Presbytarian minister Dr. John Black in the Kildonan school, “Nisbet Hall,” on what is now the east side of Main Street just past Chief Peguis Trail, with seventeen students in its first year. It was one of the first three colleges to be incorporated in the University of Manitoba, including St. Boniface College and St. John's College, in 1877. Manitoba College taught Arts and Theology, and in 1882, opened the doors of its newly constructed college building on Ellice Avenue. In 1913, due to their long co-operation and the proximity of their sites, Manitoba College entered into an experimental partnership with Wesley College called the United Colleges; however in 1914 they returned to independence and Manitoba College gave up instruction in Arts. In 1931, due to financial constraints, they sold their building to St. John's and rented back space there and with Wesley College. Finally, in 1938, Manitoba College formally joined with Wesley College and became a single institution, United College.
Name of creator
While nominally included in the 1877 incorporation of the University of Manitoba, Wesley College was officially founded in 1888 by the Methodist minister Rev. George Young. It was named for the 18th-century founder of Methodism, John Wesley. It taught its first year in Grace Church which stood on the corner of Ellice & Notre Dame with seven students, and Dr. W.J. Sparling was appointed the first instructor & Principal (although he did not arrive until the next year). In 1896 Wesley College opened the doors to its new college building on Portage Avenue. In 1913, due to their long co-operation and the proximity of their sites, Manitoba College entered into an experimental partnership with Wesley College called the United Colleges; however in 1914, they returned to independence and while Manitoba College surrendered the teaching of Arts to the University of Manitoba, Wesley College continued to teach both Arts and Theology. In 1938 the two colleges joined together as United College.
Name of creator
United College was formed in 1938 by an amalgamation between Wesley College and Manitoba College. The two colleges had enjoyed informal unity for two periods in the past, and a formal unity was convenient due to several causes: their physical proximity, their long co-operation in instruction, the sale of the Manitoba College building, and the formation of the United Church of Canada which incorporated the separating denominations of the colleges, Methodist and Presbytarian respectively.
United College took the site of Wesley College as its headquarters, and added several buildings to the campus over its existence: Bryce Hall in 1951, Manitoba and Ashdown Halls in 1959, and Graham and Riddell Halls in 1962. Eventually, United College sought incorporation as the University of Winnipeg in 1967.
The records in this fonds were accumulated from several sources over time. Some records were originally accumulated in the Wesley College and Manitoba College administrative offices and libraries, moved around campus as the Colleges expanded and grew into United College and later the University of Winnipeg, continuing to accumulate from offices and departments within the institution. Some of the records were collected ongoing by College faculty or staff, particularly Alf Longman by virtue of his position in early alumni organizations. Starting in 1982, Shirley Payment and Delza Longman consolidated these records from around campus and personal collections.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records generated by the University of Winnipeg, including its administration, teaching faculty, support staff, governing bodies, committees, internal departments, and student groups. Some of the records were generated in the same capacity by United College, Wesley College, Manitoba College, and the Collegiate, with continuity to the University of Winnipeg. The records include minutes and records of meetings; reports; correspondence; newspaper clippings; publications such as yearbooks, brochures, pamphlets, and posters; lectures, essays, and other compositions; and student records. The fonds is comprised of three separate record groups, namely UW (University of Winnipeg), AC (“All Colleges”), and CL (the Collegiate), which are arranged into a total of seventy-four series.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Entry created 8 May 2019 -- Daniel Matthes