Title and statement of responsibility area
Thunder Bay Trinity United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 2005 - 12
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1871 - 1996 (Creation)
Physical description area
2 m textual materials and photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Trinity United Church has existed in the Ontario community of Port Arthur, now known as Thunder Bay, since 1925. Its predecessor was Trinity Methodist Church, formerly known as The Methodist Church, Providence Methodist Church, and the Church of All Faiths. The Methodist Church, built in 1906 continued to be used for the United Church. In 1925, Rev. D. Rolston Patterson presided. A fire on March 7, 1929 destroyed the church's interior where the present-day chapel and kitchen is and also damaged the choir loft. A balcony was built in 1953, and as the renovations on the balcony continued in 1955, a new chancel was created. Trinity Hall was dedicated in 1957. At the time of description, Trinity United Church is a single point pastoral charge in Cambrian Presbytery.
The records of Trinity United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Cambrian Presbytery in 2002.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Trinity United Church include: records of the Congregation, including Rolls (1966-1984), a Circuit Register (1925-1930, 1947-1948); Annual Reports (1957-1989), "News and Tidbits" (1988), a photo directory (c. 1970's), a sermon read at Knox United (1990), and a list of potential names to be removed by action of the Board; records of the Church School, including the attendance record for the Primary Department (1962-1964); records of the Choir and Church Class including member lists (1965-1988) and attendance awards (1965-1966); member lists for various Lay associations (c. 1967); Histories, including historical material, and a list of ministers (1871-1996); records of the U.C.W., including Unit One minutes (1973-1975, 1981-1988) and a scrapbook (1963-1973); records of the Young People's League (1931-1944); records of the Aggressive Bible Class, including minutes (1940-1950, 1959-1971), and attendance (1943-1946); records of the Explorers, including the Keeper of the Log (1970-1971); reference material; records of the Baraca Society/ Young Men's Baraca Class / Baraca Bible Class, including attendance/ roll (1909-1911, 1923-1932); records of the Ladies Aid, including minutes (1921-1933), and correspondence (1909-1958); records of the W.M.S Auxiliary, including minutes (1927-1935, 1953-1961); records of the Men's Club (1936-1939); records of the Official Board, including financial reports (1957-1979, 1991-1994), and minutes (1985-1995); records of the Official Board Executive, including minutes (1989-1994), and attendance (with Board) (1989-1993); financial records, including a financial review (1994), and an Audit report and Worksheet (1992); records of the Finance Committee, including a report on the organization and administration of the Memorial Fund (1988); records of the Congregational Life and Work Committee, including minutes (1974); and records of the Christian Education Committee, including description of responsibilities.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item and series level inventory is available.
Related material: Private Register of Rev. Robert Dewar, Missionary-at-Large for the Superior Presbytery, for Baptisms dating from 1923-1928.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description