Title and statement of responsibility area
Trinity Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 2005 - 12
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1889 - 1925 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 folder, 11 volumes of textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Trinity Methodist Church existed in the Ontario community of Port Arthur, now known as Thunder Bay, from 1871 to 1925. Originally, a non-denominational church building called the Church of All Faiths was to be erected in Prince Arthur's Landing in 1871. Plans were changed when a Rev. Dr. Punshon and Rev. Alex Sutherland made a substantial donation towards the building of the church on the condition that the name be changed to Providence Methodist Church. The grey, wooden church was built on the southwest corner of Waverly and Algoma Street, and was shared by the Methodists and Presbyterians for services and for a while was also used for a school during the week. The first minister was Rev. William Halstead. Providence Methodist Church became known as the Methodist Church in 1892. On January 18, 1906, Rev. Dr. J.W. Sparling dedicated a new, stone church that two years later was given the name of Trinity Methodist. The old church was sold and was moved to a new site. In 1925, Trinity Methodist Church officially joined the United Church of Canada and became Trinity United Church.
The records of Trinity Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Cambrian Presbytery in 2002.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Trinity Methodist Church include: records of the Sunday School, including a list of library books (1908-1909), and records (1911); records of the Port Arthur Methodist Sabbath School Committee, including minutes and a cash book (1892-1910); records of the Young People's League, including minutes (1921-1925), records of the Baraca Society/ Young Men's Baraca Class/ Baraca Bible Class, including minutes (1909-1918), records of the Ladies of Methodist Church/ Women's Auxiliary/Ladies Aid, including minutes (1889-1905, 1909-1921), and correspondence (1889-1898); and reference material, including the "Trinity Bulletin" (1912-1913).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item and series level inventories are available.
Related material: See also the records of Trinity United Church for additional material pertaining to Trinity Methodist Church.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description