Fonds BA-513; Microfilm: R54 - Tofield Gospel Church, Tofield, Alberta fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Tofield Gospel Church, Tofield, Alberta fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA CMBS BA-513; Microfilm: R54

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1967-1985 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.2 cm of textual records
1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

This congregation was begun in 1928 by Russian Mennonite immigrants arriving at Trent Ranch, northeast of Tofield. There were 14 charter members in 1928. They met in family homes and, because transportation was difficult, not very frequently. In 1936 the Trent Ranch dissolved and so many families moved to the Lindbrook area. In 1937-1938 many families from Crowfoot also moved the Lindbrook area. In 1939 they had outgrown family homes and so rented facilities were used for meeting places. In 1940 they decided to build their own meeting house between Tofield and Lindbrook, called the M.B. Church of Lindbrook. In 1963 a larger meeting house was completed south of Tofield called the M.B. Church of Tofield. In 1971 the congregation adopted the pastor system. In 1977 the congregation again changed its name to the Tofield Gospel Church. In 1982 the congregation again built a larger meeting house north to Tofield. The leaders of the congregation were: Abram Froese (1928-1935), P. J. Warkentin (1936-1959), H. Huebert (1960-1961), J. J. Dueck (1962-1965), George Quiring (1966-1970), H. H. Epp (1971-1976), John M. Schmidt (1977-1980), P. H. Warkentin (1980-1981), Randy Benson (1981-1986), Calvin Buehler (1987-1993), Tom Peachey (1994-1997), Carl Ibbotson (1997), Wilfred Richert (1998- ).

Custodial history

Records were transferred to the Centre for M.B. Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1985. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. That microfilmed material includes church membership, family, baptismal, and marriage registers, minutes of congregational meetings and church council meetings.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a brief congregational history (1985), a congregational address list (1967), baptismal register (1978), marriage register (1978), membership and family register (1978), congregational meeting minutes (1928-1978), congregational church council meeting minutes (1975-1978).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series description and a file list is available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Language of material note

Some German.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres