Title and statement of responsibility area
Tilston Street Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 86-29; 93-35; 2005-17
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
9 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Tilston Street Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Minnedosa, located west of Winnipeg, from 1884 to 1925. Minnedosa had a Methodist presence before 1878. They operated a Mission from Rapid City to Gladstone. When the J. Norquay family arrived after 1877, Mrs. Norquay organized a small Sunday School in their home which was said to be the first between Palestine (Gladstone) and the Big Saskatchewan area. Rev. T. Lawson came from Salisbury (Neepawa area) to preach. The first resident minister, Rev. T. B. Wilson, came in 1881. In 1884 Rev. A. J. Barltrop oversaw building of the first church in Minnedosa; it was erected west of the old Town Hall on Market Square and cost $1,100. It became known as Tilston Street Methodist Church. In 1891, the church was moved to the corner of Second Avenue and First Street SW and given a new cellar, stone foundation, and brick veneer. In 1901 the Minnedosa Circuit consisted of Minnedosa, Clanwilliam, and Cameron. That same year a female Steward was elected and Rookhurst joined the circuit. Sometime between 1903 and 1905 a new east wing and tower were added to the church ($1,800) followed by a "Church Parlor" for Bible class use. In 1908, Willow Grove became an appointment 1907-1910. A year later Rev. B. W. Allison arranged with the Presbyterian minister for union services, two Sundays in each church. In 1925, Tilston Street Methodist Church officially joined The United Church of Canada to become the Tilston Street United Church.
The records of Tilston Street Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records from Rev. Walker in 1986, from the Central Archives in 1993 and from Knox United Church in 2005.
Scope and content
The records of Tilston Street Methodist Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental register pertaining to Baptisms (1882-1920), Marriages (1881-1919), Burials (1884-1920); Membership Roll (1887-1905); records of the Quarterly Official Board (1897-1916); records of the W.M.S. (1894-1904, 1912-1920); blueprints (undated); records of the Epworth League (1899); records of the Ladies Auxiliary Mission Band (1924-1925); and records of the Sunday School (1895-1896).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of Knox United Church and Neepawa Methodist Church found within the Gladstone Pastoral charge fonds for other material pertaining to Tilston Street Methodist Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description