Fonds - Thompson Pastoral Charge Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Thompson Pastoral Charge Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1959-1979 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.5m textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Thompson is a relatively new community located directly north of Lake Winnipeg in the centre of Northern Manitoba. During the 1950s a mine was opened in the area and a settlement was established. Initially joint Anglican and United services were conducted by laymen at the campsite before the town was established; after the establishment of a town site, services were held in homes on Poplar and Hickory. In the spring of 1959 the Board of Home Missions provided funding to build a manse and appointed Rev. Lawrence Fetter to serve the community. A United Church congregation was officially formed on 6 December 1959 and a Session and Board of Stewards was elected. A building committee was formed soon after and actual construction on a church was begun in September 1961. The first service was held in the new building on Palm Sunday, 1962. The church was named St. John's United Church in honour of the author of the fourth Gospel.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Items include: Records of the Session, 1965-1972; Records of the Official Board and its Standing Committee, 1965-1979; Annual Reports 1972-1977, 2 folders; Records pertaining to the Board of Stewards and Church Property, 1959-1977, 2 volumes + 3 folders; Records of Lay Associations, 1959-1969, 2 volumes + 1 folder.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level descriptions are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres