Thompson Pastoral Charge

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Thompson Pastoral Charge

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Thompson is a relatively new community located directly north of Lake Winnipeg in the centre of Northern Manitoba. During the 1950s a mine was opened in the area and a settlement was established. Initially joint Anglican and United services were conducted by laymen at the campsite before the town was established; after the establishment of a town site, services were held in homes on Poplar and Hickory. In the spring of 1959 the Board of Home Missions provided funding to build a manse and appointed Rev. Lawrence Fetter to serve the community. A United Church congregation was officially formed on 6 December 1959 and a Session and Board of Stewards was elected. A building committee was formed soon after and actual construction on a church was begun in September 1961. The first service was held in the new building on Palm Sunday, 1962. The church was named St. John's United Church in honour of the author of the fourth Gospel.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places