Title and statement of responsibility area
Teulon, St Cyprian fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.095
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
10.5 cm textual material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The parish of St Cyprian, Teulon actually has its roots in the neighbouring town of Foxton. In 1898, Rev. H.W. Baldock initiated the construction of a church. Land was purchased from John McMullen and a year later, construction began. The labour was done largely by Jack Williams and volunteers from the surrounding district. The church was opened in Foxton on 4 February 1900. The church was consecrated 12 May 1901 by the Right Reverend Machray. Shortly thereafter, the congregation decided to move the church two miles west to Teulon. The church was successfully moved to its present location on 24 January 1909 and was ready for service the following Sunday. Several parishioners did not support the move, however, and left the congregation. Once established in Teulon, the parish purchased a rectory, next door to the church. The rectory was taken down and the land sold in 1974. In 1979, a joint Sunday School with the Teulon United Church was formed. Pupils met in the Christian Education Building of the United Church. A parish hall was constructed in 1987. It was formally opened on 10 September 1987. In its history, St Cyprian has been associated with a number of parishes. In its early days, St Cyprian was tied to St Stephen, Gunton (OW.036) until its closure in 1968. In 1995, St Cyprian entered into a shared ministry with St George, Woodlands (OW.105). As part of this arrangement, services were also provided for St Michael, Grosse Isle (OW.034) and All Saints, Erinview (OW.026). In 2006, St Cyprian entered into another ministry covenant, this time with the Lutheran churches in Teulon and Inwood. St Cyprian, at the time of description, is served by a Lutheran minister.
Parish to Diocese in 1984 and 1995.
Scope and content
The records of St Cyprian, Teulon, held at the Archives include: Canonical Documents (1900-2006); Titles (1895-1973); Sacramental Registers (1892-1981); Record of Service Books (1910-1984); Financial Ledger (1901-1914); Parish Profile (1996); "Cyprian Script" Parish Newsletter (1990-1999). Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Canonical Documents, Titles, Sacramental Registers and Research files are located in the Upper Vault. All other files and bound volumes are held in the Lower Vault. Still images are filed by title and located in the Still Images - Rural Parish Collection.
Availability of other formats
Parish Registers are also on microfilm reel #12.
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish registers is restricted to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See also the registers of Church of Ascension, Stonewall (OW.092) and Christ Church, Stony Mountain (OW.093).
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description