Title and statement of responsibility area
Superior Presbytery fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 84 - 29; 88 - 39; 2005 - 12
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1925 - 1972 (Creation)
Physical description area
2.5 m textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Superior Presbytery of the United Church of Canada existed between 1925 to 1973. It was officially formed on September 16, 1925 during its first meeting held in St. Paul's Church, Port Arthur, Ontario. Robert Dewar was the first Secretary. On the same day, the Rainy River district requested that they be permitted to form a separate Presbytery to be named Rainy River Presbytery. The new Presbytery would include the Ontario communities of Fort Frances, Lavallee, Emo, Rainy River, Big Fork, Barwick, Stratton, Sleeman and the territories of Mine Centre and Atikokan. This was approved and the above charges were removed from Superior's jurisdiction and officially became the Rainy River Presbytery on November 25, 1925. The reformed Superior Presbytery included the Ontario communities of Port Arthur, Fort William, Murillo, Scheiber and Sioux Look-Out. The two Presbyteries remained separate until January 2, 1973, when they amalgamated to become Cambrian Presbytery.
The records of the Superior Presbytery came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers from the Conference Office in July of 1984 and August of 1988; a transfer from Trinity United Church in January of 2002.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Superior Presbytery include: minutes (1925-1972); Correspondence (1935-1969); "Principles of Union" reports (1966); records of the A.O.T.S., including minutes and financial statements (1951-1956); financial records, including budgets and expenditures (1970-1972), and a Presbytery Student Loans account book (1967-1972); miscellaneous records of the Advisory Board to the Community Worker (1963-1969); records of the Fort William City Mission Board, including minutes (1920-1935); records of the West Wayside, including Building Fund accounts (1946-1947); records of the Home Missions Committee, including correspondence (1952-1970), Block Assistance forms (1970), annual reports (1958-1964), maintenance grant requisitions (1952-1963), and reports (1952-1969); Fort William Church histories; records of the Committee on Students, including correspondence (1943-1955); and records of the Fort William Education Council, including correspondence (1954-1966).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item and series level inventories are available.
Related material: See also the records of the Superior Presbyterial Women's Organization for additional material pertaining to the Superior Presbytery.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description