Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Superior Presbytery of the United Church of Canada existed between 1925 to 1973. It was officially formed on September 16, 1925 during its first meeting held in St. Paul's Church, Port Arthur, Ontario. Robert Dewar was the first Secretary. On the same day, the Rainy River district requested that they be permitted to form a separate Presbytery to be named Rainy River Presbytery. The new Presbytery would include the Ontario communities of Fort Frances, Lavallee, Emo, Rainy River, Big Fork, Barwick, Stratton, Sleeman and the territories of Mine Centre and Atikokan. This was approved and the above charges were removed from Superior's jurisdiction and officially became the Rainy River Presbytery on November 25, 1925. The reformed Superior Presbytery included the Ontario communities of Port Arthur, Fort William, Murillo, Scheiber and Sioux Look-Out. The two Presbyteries remained separate until January 2, 1973, when they amalgamated to become Cambrian Presbytery.