Fonds OW.090 - Sunnyside/Oakbank, St George fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sunnyside/Oakbank, St George fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.090

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1883-1888 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.0 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish of St George, Sunnyside was formed by Bishop Machray on 8 November 1887. St George's Church was built with the aid of monies from The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge The Petition for Consecration describes it as 30 feet long and 20 feet wide with a porch 6 feet by 6 feet. Bishop Machray consecrated the church on 24 May 1883. The Manitoba Weekly Free Press of June first, 1883, states that between 200 and 300 people were present for the consecration. St George, Oak Bank was linked with St Margaret, Springfield (OW.089), All Saints, Sapton (OW.084) and Christ Church, Cook's Creek (OW.018) - later known as Hazelridge. A Municipal history states that a church was moved from Moose Nose Hill cemetery to Oak Bank, and later demolished. The same history places the Sunnyside Cemetery on Moose Nose Hill. It is possible then, to suggest that it was St George's Church, Sunnyside that was moved to Oak Bank, where it was later rededicated as St George, Oak Bank. Church records certainly describe St George's as Sunnyside in the early years and then St George's, Oakbank, in the later years. There are no church records that describe the fate of St George's Church. After 1917, Oak Bank no longer appears in the Synod Journals. An undated document, signed by C.N.F. Jeffery notes that the former church property had been sold to the C.P.R.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives in 2002.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of Canonical Documents (1883-1888) and Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

All files are located in the Lower Vault.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See Transcona, St George (W.020), Springfield, St Margaret (OW.089) for Baptisms, Marriages and Burials. Also see Springfield/Cook's Creek/Sunnyside MS WA History â€" WA 72

Related materials

Accruals

None

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres