Title and statement of responsibility area
Stony Mountain, Christ Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.093
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
5 cm textual material
12 still images
12 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The parish of Christ Church, Stony Mountain, began as a mission in the early 1870s. The first services were held in John Robinson's house in 1872. Once the Stony Mountain Penitentiary was completed in 1877, services were held in the chapel there. In 1905 the congregation decided to built their own church. On 16 September 1906, the church was opened and dedicated. It was consecrated the following year on 8 September. Of special interest is the church bell. The bell was seized from Fort Whoop Up, Alberta where it was used by whiskey runners. The bell was then sent to Ottawa until an application was made by the warden at the Stony Mountain Penitentiary to have it sent to Christ Church. The old school house was purchased in 1909, with funds raised by the W.A. in 1909 and used as a parish hall. It burnt down in 1923. In 1928 a new parish hall was built, this time on the south side of the church. A kitchen was added in 1955. On 24 May 1981, a six foot wooden cross was erected on the south exterior wall of the parish hall and dedicated to the memory of the pioneers of Christ Church. In its early days, Christ Church was associated with Church of the Ascension, Stonewall (OW.092). In later years, Balmoral, St Peter (OW.005) and Brant, St John (OW.011) were added to the arrangement. Stony Mountain has also been associated with Argyle, St Oswald (OW.002), Gross Isle, St Michael (OW.034), Poplar Heights, St Luke (OW.071) and Woodlands, St George (OW.105).
Parish to Diocese in 1984, 1996 and 1998.
Scope and content
The records of Christ Church, Stony Mountain include: Canonical Documents (1907-1965); Titles (1906-1960); Sacramental Registers (1881-1930); still images. Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The Canonical Documents, Titles, Research and Sacramental Registers are held in the Upper Vault. Still images are filed by title in the Still Images - Rural Parish Collection.
Availability of other formats
Parish Registers are also available on microfilm reel #12.
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See also the Parish Registers of Stonewall, Church of the Ascension (OW.092) and Teulon, St Cyprian (OW.095) for Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description