Title and statement of responsibility area
Stonewall, Church of the Ascension fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.092
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
31 cm textual material
2 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The parish of the Church of Ascension, Stonewall began as a mission. It was first mentioned by Bishop Machray on 23 May 1877 in his charge at Synod, describing the need for a mission to include Woodlands and Victoria. Early services in the Stonewall area were first held in the home of E. Good. After the completion of the local school house, services were held there. A church was built in 1882 and officially opened on 8 July of that year. A chancel was added in 1906. A parish hall was built in 1901, with a kitchen added in 1922. Structural problems led to the construction of a new hall beginning in July 2002. On 18 January 2003, the hall was officially opened. The Church of Ascension has long been associated with churches in surrounding parishes, including All Saints, Victoria (OW.098); St Peter, Balmoral (OW.005); St John, Brant (OW.011); and Christ Church, Stony Mountain (OW.093). At the time of description, Stonewall is associated with St Peter, Balmoral.
Parish to Diocese in 1984 and 1998.
Scope and content
The records of the Church of Ascension, Stonewall include: Canonical Documents (1892-1957); Titles (1958-2002); Plans (1957); Sacramental Registers (1889-1994); Record of Services (1896-1998); Vestry Minutes (1895-1915); Financial Records (1933-1938); Sunday School Cash Book (1914-1965); still images. Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The Canonical Documents, Titles, Plans, Research and Sacramental Registers are located in the Upper Vault. All other files and bound volumes are held in the Lower Vault. Still images are filed by title and are located in the Still Images - Rural Parishes Collection.
Availability of other formats
Parish Registers are available on microfilm reels #11 and #12.
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archive staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See also the records of Balmoral, St Peter (OW.003); Brant, St John (OW.011); Stony Mountain, Christ Church (OW.093) and Victoria, All Saints (OW.098).
Further accruals expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description